Wanted: Aluminium Construction Tips - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2002, 01:03 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
One way to do deeper tapping is to do it first with regular tap and then use another one with trimmed end. Worked fine for me. I'm using cordless drill gun with a clutch for tapping. You can save yourself a lot of frustration by using it.

If there is an interest I can post some pics in Useful Techniques thread.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th October 2002, 01:14 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I have tried using my 8" Drill Press , just had to remove a belt and rotate the head which instead of drill mounted had tap and wola. I have been using as well an "Aluminium cutting liquid 09" which really does the job. Controlling the pressure by other hand and that's it. It worked for me.

Peter please post some new pics, I am eager to see your advice always. Pictures are always saying more than words.

Trigon
Old 10th October 2002, 01:27 AM   #23
mbroker is offline mbroker  United States
diyAudio Member

Do be careful when tapping small holes with a drill! I've broken numerous #8 taps with the Dewalt on low speed and the clutch at minimum. I started using the drill only for 1/4" and larger holes in aluminum and plastic. With a little practice, tapping small holes by hand is pretty easy. Starting with the correct hole diameter is essential. I prefer being able to feel the resistance so that I don't break the tap or gall the threads. But that's just me

now, try tapping a 6" long rod of 1/2" unleaded brass on a lathe... Took -30dB ear plugs to stand the screech despite copious amounts of real cutting fluid. All to save $5.00US on a piece from McMaster!

Agree with the "Clipped Tap" method

For all the fastener information you could want, including tap drill diameters, check outAmerican Fastener's Tech Charts.

Regards,

Mark Broker
Old 10th October 2002, 02:45 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
When done properly it's impossible to brake a tap. I just tapped some holes while doing pictures. See the results: Useful tools and techniques
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!