Free software!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted, but recently I've found myself with some spare time and have been trawling through the DiyAudio pages once again.

I have been using PSpice to simulate my circuits, but have been frustrated by the 10 active device limit on the free "student" version (now discontinued I believe).

I've recently come across some open source software mentioned on the site for design and measurement of loudspeakers (http://www.iti.fi/speakerdesigner/) and would like to know if there is an open source circuit simulation system based on spice. Ideally I'd like some free software (i.e. GPL) that has a graphical interface and no limit on the number of devices (other than the limit of my CPU speed + patience!).

I use Linux and Windows (although I'm not a Linux guru), so either platform is good, but I would prefer something Linux-based.

If anyone knows of such software add a link to this thread - maybe this could become a permanent thread as a reference for software that people use?

Any replies welcome! Thanks ;)

Hello,
One of my many hobbies is searching the net for freeware program downloads.
I must have downloaded at least 30 simulators / PCB Programs.
I found that most were hard to use or you couldn't save or print anything etc etc.

As the search goes on for the ultimate Program, here is 3 Programs that weren't to bad and usable.

As I downloaded these months ago, I can't give you the links to each site.

So I recommend you log onto www.dogpile.com and use that search engine to find these programs on the net.

For PCB board layouts I use "PCB Designer Demo" All it does is supply you with different size donuts, IC pins etc so that you can set out a board Manually. It doesn't allow transfer of Schematics to PCB as does other programs.
It less than a Megabit to download.

My favourite Simulator is "CircuitMaker Student edition" with is very easy to use. It has a component limit like your program, but i know it allows more than 10 components.

Also you could try "Target 3001" it's a big download but i believe it has no limits as they expect you to email them your artwork and get them to make your PCB boards.

I don't know if other diyaudio members have used these programs.
Please let us know what you think of the programs I have recommend.

Cheers for the replies.

I have used Circuit Maker in the past and found it easy to use and less limited (in terms of device count) than the "free" version of PSpice, however it is also limited with regards to the measurements one could make (as far as I can remember).

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.