Welcome Back Grey!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Grey

from another SC'ian

I have enjoyed the Aleph-X thread

If you'll send me an E-mail, I'll try to catch up with you in Columbia some time - I go there semi-frequently.

Also, the dixie bottleheads - a tube group that has been meeting in Knoxville for several years is now going to be meeting in Hendersonville every other month -

They are primarily SET - horn types - usually several people bring amps they have built- really a good group of folks - Phil (Haldor) is right off I-26 near Spartanburg- we could meet and ride together if you're interested.

Later

:D

Ken L

Dustin Haug said:
Haven't seen you post in ages, but glad to see you're back. I learned a ton from reading your posts about various Pass amps, and the forum was at a loss for your absence. Hope you're here to stay.

I will welcome you too, altough I don't know you really, but been away?? You have been posting now and then all time. Is it Dustin who have been away?:)

Ken L,
There used to be an audio club down here, but they got mired in a bunch of petty nonsense and fell apart. I was always regarded with suspicion because at the time I was working in an audio shop and certain members of the club thought I was going to try to sell them something. Never did, but that didn't stop them from feeling that I was going to exert Jedi mind powers over them and make them hand over their wallets. As a result, I was always made to feel pretty uncomfortable. So it goes. I quit trying attend because it was causing such strife.
Kinda like the situation here, in a way.
Always willing to listen to decent gear. When you're talking Hendersonville, you're not too far from my birthing grounds. I was up in the Greenville area a few weeks ago installing a young 'un at Clemson. Given the circumstances, I'll be back and forth from time to time.
The standards here at DIY are a cumulative reflection of all of us, not just me. I'd like for the site to 'feel' different from the way it was headed for a while, but I'm just one guy and there are a lot of people who seem to want something entirely different. It was just easier to let others have things their way. Not exactly a democrazy (yes, I spelled it that way on purpose), but a more...I dunno, kind of a statistical process like some of the gas laws in physics. If there are enough 'hot' molecules in a gas, they will by their very existence change the behavior of the body of gas as a whole (including heating up other molecules who might just have preferred to remain cool).
We'll see how it goes.

Grey

Well, you know, groups on the web and forums, etc. seem to have cycles - people come and go, come back, etc. and it's always changing - never static - always dynamic at various speeds - But they're the sum total of the positive that people put into them - hopefully the negative fades away -

On your way to Clemson you probably went within two blocks of my house - I live right off I-85

The Dixie Bottleheads is absolutely one of the nicest groups I've been around - I've seen none of the negativety of which you speak - It's all DIY , or semii pro or Pro one-off type guys - at the September meeting in addition to Phil Seig and his rig (whose house is was at), there were several people who brought homebrew 845's, one of the regulars brought a homebrew made from off the wall salvage types of tubes that sounded great.

This is kick in $5:00 for homebrew beer and chips (the brew meister comes from VA. Truly a nice day.

Send me an e-mail so we can be in touch (yours is disabled on the forum but mine is not)

I've just finished a preamp with RGN1054 mesh rectifier, 12B4's and Sowter 9335's (debugging some noise and hum).

And I've got almost all the parts for a 304TL amp, using 872's for power and the light show :bigeyes:

Both are to Jim Dowdy designs - he is in Hendersonville.

BTW, I'm going to be in Columbia Oct 13,14, 15 - I go there pretty often.

If you're open to some further discussion - or getting in touch - send me an e-mail

later

Ken L

:D

GRollins said:
The standards here at DIY are a cumulative reflection of all of us, not just me.
. . . .
I dunno, kind of a statistical process like some of the gas laws in physics. If there are enough 'hot' molecules in a gas, they will by their very existence change the behavior of the body of gas as a whole (including heating up other molecules who might just have preferred to remain cool).

Welcome back! Though I was not around to see your exodus.

I have a bit of a response to your gas laws. :) Recently, claims were made about discovering the fifth state of matter - the Bose-Einstein condensate. (A BEC is a macroscopic amount of matter that behaves like a wave.) A BEC is made by cooling certain atoms to a few billionths of a degree. But researchers were having great difficulties because no matter how cold the majority of the atoms got, there were still just enough hot atoms around to prevent the experiment from succeeding. Then one (or more) researchers had a great idea: shove the hot atoms out of the cloud of cold atoms! Then the experiments worked; and there was much rejoicing by the researchers and the rest of the world who cared about the fifth state of matter.

Need I say more? ;)

Again, glad to see the S/N ratio here increase by many dB this week ;)

Cheers,

Mark Broker

Welcome back Grey!

Good to see you back as your post are sorely missed. I see that left on your own accord as opposed to H.H. who was forced out.
Please tell us that you were not part of Dice45s ultimatum below
as this seems unlike your temperment and hardly in the spirit of the forum. I can't imagine your return under the cloud:rain: of the conditional expulsion another member and surely your departure was not implied as being for simular reasons. Please ask Geoff to return also. Do we see a possible role as a moderator with some authority this time?:judge:

"today i observed Grey Rollins posting again in the AlephX thread. I know, he left in a huff and a major part of this huff was caused by HH.

To those who want HH back:
I am certain Jason reads this too. Should HH allowed to come back, I am quite certain Grey Rollins will leave and never come back. I am 100% certain i will leave and never come back. me? i am not that important. My contribution to this forum board is nothing to compared to Grey's one (i may be a major pain in the *** to some of you anyway, maybe many of you.) But Grey Rollins has made a huge contribution to make this place the way it is, so i sense it, so anyone asked continues to assure.

I have my priorities targeted to quality, not quantity. Quality also AFA constructive attitude is concerned.
Grey Rollins coming back? Or HH coming back?

Take your pick, folks but be aware you cannot have both.

Dice 45"

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.