Need to rig something to record cell phone...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks!

Here's the deal: I'm going to be doing a lot of interviews by phone over the next several months (academic research project), and I want to record them from my cell to my PC.

So, I'm thinking... There's got to be some way I can rig up a splitter to tap the signal from the mic and the speaker to the mic input on the computer. The thing that confuses me is that the plug on the hands-free is three-banded, while it only has two wires. :scratch1:

Anybody done anything like this, maybe know where I can find a schematic I can adapt for this use? Any ideas on filtering noise would also be helpful.

Thanks!

The two wires are probably each a tiny coaxial cable that have a shield and inner conductor.

Typical wiring on a 2.5 mm headset connector is...

tip - microphone
ring - earphone
sleeve - common

I would first try connecting the earphone circuit to the line input of the sound card. You will certainly be able to record who you are talking to, but your own voice may be weak or absent.

> Dude, I'm an undergrad.

Say no more.

BTW -- any reason you can't do this from an old-fashioned phone? You're already sort of tied to one physical location with the computer...

The reason I suggest this is for three cheap, easy, and effective ways of accomplishing your goal with a POTS set.

1. Record your calls on cassette tape with an answering machine.
2. Record your calls with a voice modem directly into the computer (quality will be very good)
3. Record your calls the old fashioned way, with one of those $5 inductive suction-cups. These work best with super-old phones. You know, the ones with dials on 'em that you rented from the phone company back in 1979.

Or, for a few bucks worth of parts -- http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/telerecord.html

Wes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.