Using car amp + subs at home? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2005, 02:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Using car amp + subs at home?

Hi, I know this has been covered before but it looked like all the circumstances required a much higher current draw.

I have a car amp (Diamond Audio D3 600.1: 600w RMS at 1 ohm) and two 12" subs (Rockford Fosgate HX2's 500w RMS), and I was wonder if it would be possible to use these at home. Is there anyway that I could power the amp properly with home current besides doing the obvious and getting a car battery charger?

It seems that there are some home audio receivers that put out 500w of power (at high resistance probably too) from house current, so I was hoping there was someway to do the same for a car amp.

I know this has been covered before but it looked like all the circumstances required a much higher current draw.

Thanks in advance
Old 17th September 2005, 05:32 AM   #2
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

This amp might draw what, 60A from 12V?. This would have to be one heck of a battery charger. If you don't use this continuously with this much power, a battery(to handle current spikes) backed up with like a 1 farad cap and a smaller charger might do it. Another way is to disconnect the SMPS power supply, use a seperate power supply to power the rails seperately, but if you don't know what your doing, you will damage the amp. I don't recomend this. There is a reason car amps are typically cheaper than house amps, and drive lower impeadences. It has to do with the amount of iron and size of filter caps, which are expensive. This is why a lot of DIYers scrap these parts from broken equipment. One mans trash can become another mans treasure around here.

Hide this!Advertise here!