stop that crazy animated gifs inflation !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now we know how all these little gifs look like - those how do not n´know yet can have a look.

But : Please stop using them in unlimited masses in each post. I actually cannot read the posts anymore, with all that distracting blinking and flashing !
Can we start using them in "doses" ? - say: Just one in each post should be enough, don't you think ?

greetings from a slightly embarassed
Klaus

lohk

Your probly right, some may feel dizzy reading posts with animated gifs, still I find that when used with moderation it add a little life to a post :) (too much increases ceasure risk)

You know ther's probly an option on your web Browser not to display the animated image, only a still version, perhaps that could help you?

:spin:

Klaus,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's like giving a 3 yo crayons and saying they can draw wherever they like.

It makes posts hard, no ******* annoying to read, and far from conveying any emotion, when not used sparingly and appropriately, only serve to communicate how little the poster really has to say.

They take away credibility from the site.

Cheers
Brett

Re: They take away credibility from the site.

theodorecleaver said:
I thought thats what the Swedes and Canadians were here for. I do find that Nelson Passes use of them has completely undermined his credibility. I will never believe anything he says now........

The Beav
Nelson uses a gif here and there, but there are many others who use them like punctuation. Note, I originally said <b>when not used sparingly and appropriately</b> Reading some posts is like trying to find text in an arcade game.

As for the Canadians and Swede's undermining the credibility of the place, well that's expected, as well as the Kiwi's, Tasmanians and that strange guy from Perth.

Toodlepip

That's too funny!

I had animated gifs turned off in my browser, so I had
no idea that the smilies were animated!

Lohk, you are right though, it is annoying. I will turn it off
again...

-herm

P.S. In internet explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options,
Advanced, and uncheck the box "Play animations in web pages"

They take away credibility from the site.I thought thats what the Swedes and Canadians were here for...

ahahahah remember that?

;) :D

Attachments

• canadapride.jpg
    canadapride.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 219
ahahahah remember that?

Grown men beating each with sticks:smash:......... come to think of it that does resemble most of the discourse as of late.:t_ache: :Ouch: What the puck does that have to do with audio design though.:hypno2: I did once see a passive preamp built in a puck display box here.:bigeyes: Is that what you were refering to?:scratch1:

Keep your stick on the ice. If you can't be handsome:fight: you can at least be handy.:wrench: :mallet:

The Beav:wave:

Klaus and Elso and Brett,

i fully agree with you that the use of smilies is inflationary. I would join you advocating to use them in bearable doses :nod:...and not to use heaps them for meaningless messages meant to carress the own ego only...:yuck:

Brett,
i sense you are not happy with those smilies. I sense so not the 1st time. I wonder why this topic gets you so animated. :confused:

All,
I confess, it was my idea to add those smilies, i wanted to provide means to express emotions not so easily expressed in typed words. Humans tend not to be aware they communicate with their body and facial mimics more than by content; in fact 80% is body language and facial mimics, the rest is divided in 75% how you say something and 25% what you say: content, so the communication scientists say. Makes a sad total of 5% for mere content in real life.

We take for granted the others know what we want to say (it is soooo obvious for us), we do not make sure that we are understood. This makes it just a Q of time until we are seriously misunderstood. If smilies are there, it is fun to use them so many people use them. If smilies are used to transfer "i feel"-messages, then they help to avoid a lot of those misunderstandings. This is the way i use them: to transfer "i feel" messages.

I observe members using them without any sense behind it :( and i observe others using them in contradiction to what their words tell regularly :whazzat: and i observe others using them with care and in a plausible context and certainly not inflationary :). Now it is way more easy to separate whom you continue to take serious and whom not. Methinks, this is quite an advantage. For all of us.

Methinks misusing smilies is not degrading crediblity of the site but of the very poster!!
Methinks using smilies appropriately and in right dose it is a good way to be taken serious by others.

Good Show

"Humans tend not to be aware they communicate with their body and facial mimics more than by content; in fact 80% is body language and facial mimics, the rest is divided in 75% how you say something and 25% what you say: content, so the communication scientists say. Makes a sad total of 5% for mere content in real life."

Why how ever have I been getting anything out reading books this many years, I will never know. Why think what a boon to literature and scientific text this could be. No more mistakes about irony,humor subtltey,or satire; I should say!

Why I think these smilies should be mandatory for all post! We should be enabled to insert them into other's post too after the fact for those who did not realize the subtext of what they were saying. Why some poor bloke might of have thought he was merely lying to sound impressive when he was actually being terribly funny without any knowledge of it. I have seen this often myself. Think of the disagreements and bickering that could be avoid if one could merely amplify others post with a smilely. we could save pages of replies.

With many english as second language speakers, we could much help their message with the appropriate smiley. I believe that smilies could be the univesral language, sort of an emotional esperanto if you will. they could also completey replace punctuation and aid in understanding of totally misspelled words and complete lack of gramatical syntax.

We need a couple of hundred more and here is a short list of ones that I have needed but not had access to:

pathos
humility
delusional arrogance
utter disbelieve
spirituality
farfanugen
Eddyism
bliss
angst

Let me volunteer for the first to be gang smilied by my peers here at the forum. The insight into my inner psyche would be invaluable.

Guy:superman:

Bernhard,
If you really beleive this statement <b>Brett,
i sense you are not happy with those smilies. I sense so not the 1st time. I wonder why this topic gets you so animated.</b> then you're obviously not reading my posts on the subject.

I agree that the medium of communication here limits a lot of expression because body language, vocal inflection, etc are not able to be communicated through a keyboard very easily. However, I don't see how the gifs replace that in any way. People have managed to communicate how they feel in letters for centuries, but they can't on the net? Crap. They're a toy that the juveniles can't resist playing with.

As you say yourself in the post above people misuse them, or post them in complete contradiction of the text, so what is their benefit? It's just as easy to misunderstand the intent of the smiley-thing as words. They communicate no more genuine feeling than being told "have a nice day" by a store attendant who has been instructed to say it and couldn't care less about you. Many of the posters here, for whom English is not their first language, communicate their intent very effectively without them. You are an exception, maybe that's why you're so fond of them.

I find the gifs whether animated or static to be annoying when scattered through the middle of text I'm trying to read. Some posters insist on using them as punctuation, and it seems look for things to say so they can include them.

Some of the recent changes here were intended to raise the standard of the site, and encourage new blood. Opening a thread to find lots of little gifs dancing around is really going to attract the more mature (in attitude) poster isn't it? I can show you other sites where the number of a-gifs is in direct correlation to the knowledge base: the more there are, the less content there is. If diyaudio had been like this a year ago, I wouldn't have bothered to hang around. Since you like to reference some of your esteemed friends who don't post here, perhaps you could poll them and see whether they think they're a benefit or a detriment to the site? Does the use of the gifs attract or repell them from even visiting?

<b>Methinks misusing smilies is not degrading crediblity of the site but of the very poster!! </b>
Yes, and those who use them a lot, I seldom bother to read. Experience has shown that the gifs replace content.
<b>Methinks using smilies appropriately and in right dose it is a good way to be taken serious by others.</b>
Possibly, in some circumstances, but it's not universal.
An example. As well as engineering, I've also worked in the building trade. There many people speak like F-this and F-that. You get used to it, and it's nothing. In contrast, I have a friend who is the epitome of charm and grace. I had never heard her swear in all the time I'd known her, until one day she did, loudly, at a function. It stopped the room, and drew it's entire attention to her. She had just been "handled" by a real slimeball, and it's singular use had great effect, and the desired result of embarrassing him away.

Klaus and others,

excuse me, but are you sure you are actually complaining
about animated GIFs?? I don't think I have ever seen any
animated GIFs on this forum. Until now, that is.

(Maybe we should let it stay this way too, ie. no animated
GIFs in the future either.)

Attachments

• alien3.gif
    alien3.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 157
Well, so much for that example. Animated GIFs can't even be
displayed on the forum it seems. The little blue guy should
jump around, change colour etc.

My only purpose was to show you what an animated GIF is,
but it seems those of you who didn't know, still won't
know. :( (Reasonable but not necessary use of emoticon,
I believe).

Otherwise I agree there is an inflation in the usage of emoticons.
I would say there are only a handful of them one can interpret
with reasonable certainty, and only a few of these that actually
serve a purpose beyond mere decoration.

I do think :) and ;) are useful to indicate there some degree
of joke or amusement in what was just written. Jokes are
often misunderstood by some people, and irony especially so.

Smilies and Satire

My post was satire. Since this is such a topic of contention, I thought it only cricket to make this abundently clear to those of you not paying attention to such a delightful ruse.

I believe Brett's is satire also since I can't image this subject to be at the center of anything but a small bit of whimsey by some of the forum's more notorious wags. Jolly good fun fun though.

Ta Ta

Guy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.