DIY air compressor. help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lately I have been looking for ways to improve my air bearing Ladegaard tone arm. One of the most obvious conclusions is that I need a heftier compressor than the aquarium pump I have used to date. Since I like to DIY my audio stuff whenever possible I want to try and make my own. It needs to be in the best Frugal-fi tradition
I have done a little Google-research and the most promising route seems to use an old refrigerator pump. like this one Such a pump should be easy enough to find but what else do I need and where could I get it?
Does anyone have experience making such a beast?
What kind of pressure can it reliably produce?
Any tips are very much appreciated.

Those pumps can produce something like 100 psi, albeit al low volume - I've used them for pumping up tyres with no problems.
However, I understand that the oil in which they run can become dangerously acidic, and cause very nasty skin burns - what it would do to your precision engineering I hate to think!
Most are also only intermittently rated, and will be likely to overheat during the playing of an LP.
How about an airbrush compressor instead?

Certainly you could do it. The first shop compressor I had was home built using a walk-in cooler compressor, 3/4 HP motor, and a used bottled gas tank. It was comparatively cheap 30 years ago. The trade off between it and commercial units was slow recovery time.

Any compressor needs a pressure relief valve, a pressure cut off/on switch that bleeds the incoming line so the compressor doesn't have to start under a load. A drain in the storage tank is also important.

Installing these three items and accompanying fittings might run the price higher than a small commercial unit. I see them at the big box stores pretty cheap lately, especially the small ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.