Am I a Genius or a Fool....or a bit of both, Foenus? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2005, 03:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Am I a Genius or a Fool....or a bit of both, Foenus?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
I have a major problem with a ground loop between my home theater PC and my HIFI.
Bazarly enough it is only if i connect up the un-grounded preamp as an intermediary, if i wire straight to the powers the buzz aint there.

anyway back to my question.

I have used every loop blocker i can afford, they help the problem but the buzz is still there.

The only solution I have is to place them on another mains ring. Unfortunatly i have only 1 socket mains ring in my flat and i could not afford another to be fitted.

Yesterday I got a (hopefully) splendid idea. My heating is electrical. I removed one of my storage heaters and am about to manually wire into that ring. It is a special heating only circuit in my flats. This means that nothing but heaters are connected to it...in theory really clean electricity (and heating electricity is cheaper in my flats which is why it is a heater only ring).

Compared to the drain of a 3kw heater the hifi will drain pittance.

Have i discovered a fantastic thing or am i overlooking something?

pros
1) Seperate ringmain to all the other inteferance causing electrical appliances in the building!

2) Cheaper electricity

3) that line is designed to have a huge drain on it so will be wired with better materials

cons
1) probably in breach of my electricity contract.
Old 7th September 2005, 05:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Am I a Genius or a Fool....or a bit of both, Foenus?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scowcroft
[B3) that line is designed to have a huge drain on it so will be wired with better materials[/B]
Well obviously I know SFA about the UK electrical code, but the above statement goes against what the codes here are. Because heating is a single-service, the electrical code allows a smaller conductor to be used. In short, over here, the conductors in a dedicated electrical heating circuit are SMALLER than if the circuit were multi-service and of the same amperage. And of course if you tap into this heater circuit with a plug, you have now made it multi-service and are non-conforming.
Old 7th September 2005, 05:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Default Re: Am I a Genius or a Fool....or a bit of both, Foenus?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scowcroft
Have i discovered a fantastic thing or am i overlooking something?
iiwy, i'd check the surge values on that supply.
Old 8th September 2005, 07:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

thanks for answering.

In answer to the first point. It is multipoint access, there are 5 heaters arround my house on the same ring. they are all radio activated and trigger at the same time drawing about 4kw each.
Is that similar to the situation you described as I am unsure.

In relation to the surge values you might have a good point there.

What makes you believe the surge would be any different than the normal supply.

I use a rotel RB-991 amp its built like a steel coated brick, I used to use it near skipton and lightning strikes meant i had to replace the internal fuses every few months but apart from that it was ok. I will fit a surge protector for the first few weeks to be safe.

Any other ideas?
Old 8th September 2005, 08:10 AM   #5
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When do you listen to your music?
Storage heater circuits are usually on a timeswitch arranged to be on for a few hours during the night, when the heaters are 'charged' - that's why the juice is cheaper.
There's nothing to stop you overriding the switch, but you will then have to switch your heaters manually.
There's also the question of fusing - 13A socket radial circuits must be fused at 15A, and your heater cct may well have higher rating fuses (or MCBs).
If you want to take this route, you would have to tap off the supply prior to the timeswitch and fit a consumer unit to feed the sockets, in which case you'd be in exactly the same position as running another ring!
Old 8th September 2005, 09:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

There are two heater circuits in my house, one is on a timer one is 24hr, I still get the cheap juice (though not as) on the 24hr.

I have removed one of the storage heaters so all i need to do is attach a plug to the wires I left out.

So i think i am getting a seperate ringmain with cleaner electricity for the price or wiring a new plug!

I have never been one to care about fuses much anyway, I have also been repeatably electrocuted, but that is completely unrelated

Old 13th October 2005, 07:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

This thread scares me. I hope Peter is ok.
Old 13th October 2005, 08:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I did submit a reply pointing out the potential danger of taking supplies from different phases, the requirement to have the modifications inspected (at considerable expense), and the likelihood that the result would be no 'cleaner' than the present supply, but it seems to have been lost in the aether!
Old 13th October 2005, 10:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,
sorry for no update, i forgot quite how many websites i posted this question on.

I set it up, not even a little problem!

The buzz is gone, the sound is slightly cleaner, the juice is cheaper, and I can turn my hifi of from the wall(the old plug was to concealed!)

all in all a total sucess.

I just have to remember to rip it all out before i sell the house.

Thanks for the advice and concern.
Old 13th October 2005, 10:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Now I am scared!
Did you check that the 'new' supply was on the same phase as the old one - if not, you could have 440V appearing across your gear. Is it correctly fused? Has it been inspected and 'signed off' by a registered electrician (required by regulations now). Remember that if anyone is elecrocuted, or there's a fire, then you will be responsible, and will not be insured!
If the buzz has now gone, I'd be 90% sure that there's a fault on your old supply (or something connected to it), which should be investigated and corrected.
Please think about this carefully
Cheers,
Dave.

Hide this!Advertise here!