$2000 passive attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to Yamaha at http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/components/ypc1.htm

* 1db(-100dB) Gang Error High Quality Continuosly Variable Attenuator with Brass Case

* Low -Resistance Rotary Selector Switch

* Extra-Thick (12mm; 1/2") Aluminum Extruded Yamaha Traditional Piano Finish Front Panel and Side Panels

* Magnetic Shielding Aluminum Top Cover and Rear Panel

* Point-Controlled, Anti-Resonance Feet

* Heavy-Duty and High Sound Quality Copper-Plated Steel Inner Chassis

It would seem that someone could DIY this for $200, but for a mass produced and marketed item, $2000 sounds about right. I would like to see an internal picture of it.

I don't know which is more surprising, the price, or the fact that it's Yamaha making an ultra-high-end passive volume control/input selector and amp. I'm a big fan of their home theater receivers (Been using 'em for about 9 years now), but high-end gear?!

My personal guess is that it's the Alps Brass RK50 Pot, the same that Headroom uses in their amps. That's about the only way that cost could be justified (I believe Tyll w/Headroom says that the Pot runs them $700-800, and they don't mark it up when adding it to their amps).

You add that to the case, the input switch, and RCA jacks, and you're probably at $1k.

motherone:

I don't know which is more surprising, the price, or the fact that it's Yamaha making an ultra-high-end passive volume control/input selector and amp. I'm a big fan of their home theater receivers, but high-end gear?!

You shouldn't be. Many of the big Japanese electronic manufacturers, Pioneer, Panasonic, Denon, Yamaha, Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Sony et al have had product lines that would definitely qualify as high end. And the engineering practices and beliefs of many of the designers (certainly the ones that I have interacted with) are amazingly tweeky (although accompanied by solid engineering). In fact, it seems like the concept of boutique componentry originated with the big Japanese manufacturers in the 1970s.

Most of these products have been reserved for domestic Japanese consumption, but I suppose that the Internet makes it easier to announce and promote such products to the rest of the world.

hth, jonathan carr

MichaelJHuman said:
That's one expensive pot. If Yamaha says continuously variable then its not the same pot as the head room right (headroom max?)? I thought that one used discrete resistors.

The Headroom one is (I believe) a variable resistor with ultra-high tolerences and silver/gold plated stuff. It's about the size of an 8oz soda can.. Tyll brought one to a recent Seattle headphone meet. A very impressive piece of kit, but still, it's pretty obscene on the pricing. I believe he said they went for $600 a pop from Alps.

jcarr said:
motherone:

You shouldn't be. Many of the big Japanese electronic manufacturers, Pioneer, Panasonic, Denon, Yamaha, Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Sony et al have had product lines that would definitely qualify as high end. And the engineering practices and beliefs of many of the designers (certainly the ones that I have interacted with) are amazingly tweeky (although accompanied by solid engineering). In fact, it seems like the concept of boutique componentry originated with the big Japanese manufacturers in the 1970s.

Most of these products have been reserved for domestic Japanese consumption, but I suppose that the Internet makes it easier to announce and promote such products to the rest of the world.

hth, jonathan carr

I'm aware of most of the other brands having high-end lines (Pioneer Elite, Sharp's SACD/Digital Amp, etc.).. I've just never seen anything high-end from Yamaha, other than their "High-end" hoem theater receivers.

jleaman said:
I'd have to say that the amp is not worth 5k and to add to it.. it uses a SMPS NOT GOOD.. EWWW!!!...

I am working on my own passive pre amp though.

I wouldn't criticize all SMPS supplies so quickly, just because most of the implementations are noisy. Linn has some VERY successful, VERY high-end gear that uses some mighty cool SMPS technology.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DC Dave said:

* 1db(-100dB) Gang Error High Quality Continuosly Variable Attenuator with Brass Case

* Low -Resistance Rotary Selector Switch

* Extra-Thick (12mm; 1/2") Aluminum Extruded Yamaha Traditional Piano Finish Front Panel and Side Panels

* Magnetic Shielding Aluminum Top Cover and Rear Panel

* Point-Controlled, Anti-Resonance Feet

* Heavy-Duty and High Sound Quality Copper-Plated Steel Inner Chassis

It would seem that someone could DIY this for $200, but for a mass produced and marketed item, $2000 sounds about right. I would like to see an internal picture of it.

Well, when you see them start each word with a capital letter to give it more weight, you know you'r being taken! :D

Jan Didden

DC Dave said:

I would guess closer to $800-900, especially if you'd like to have nice casework done (well, unless you're PD or someone who has skill with building cases from scratch).

I'm guessing $650 for the volume control itself, another $100 for boutique RCAs and cable, probably $50 for the input selector switch, and $100 for a parmetal case with a frontpanelexpress.com front panel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.