Pb / Pb-free - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2005, 01:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pb / Pb-free

Let's say I have a Pb component that needs to be replaced and the replacements are Pb-free. What do I do? Do I just put in a socket?
Old 23rd August 2005, 04:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Eh? Just solder it in! You don't really need to do anything special.
Old 23rd August 2005, 04:37 AM   #3
Tim__x is offline Tim__x  Canada
diyAudio Member

Lead free means it doesn't have any lead in it, it doesn't mean that it can't touch lead.
Old 23rd August 2005, 01:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've read that Pb-free solder cannot go where Pb is. Is it true?

I thought Pb-free components would react the same as Pb-free solder with lead.

Anyways, I've found there are some Pb-free + SnPb alloys so I guess no problems will arise, no?
Old 23rd August 2005, 02:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

- Lead free solder is the biggest load crap you'll ever see
- You often cannot re-work product made with lead-free solder with regular solder (and vice-versa -- that includes board tinning).
- You CAN usually solder "lead-free" leads with regular solder. This depends largely on the treatment of the pins. Make sure you inspect the joints closely, however.

If you're really concerned. put it in a socket.

Wes
Old 23rd August 2005, 02:57 PM   #6
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Be sure to use the pb free solder with the silver in it, although crap it's much better than the cheaper no silver stuff. IMHO all this pb free thing is about the worst thing to hit the electronics industry in living memory (well ok, those that are selling the new soldering gear are making a killing!), apparentlly there was not even any research done to prove that the pb was causing any pollution!...
It's a potential minefield for anyone working in electronics in as much as that there are now several types of solder in use and not all of them are compatible with each other, I was at a presentation by a solder manufacturer (designed to put our minds at rest about it!) and some of our engineers made some searching questions which led (sic) to them admitting that different types of Pb free were being used in Europe and the far east and that if you try to repair somthing with the wrong type you will quickly end up with dry joints etc....also many Pb components have a shelf life....I could go on...personally I have been stocking up on lots of Pb/Sn for my own use but I suppose that for legal reasons I will have to start using the duff stuff on customers gear next year
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

But solder used for water pipes is still Sn40/Pb60. Just guess what I'll do if I can't find Sn60/Pb40

There are still countries with lead in gas, and electronics are not even going in the trash anyways. I guess there's a problem here.

Solution : Keep some leaded and lead-free solder and use sockets, when working woth both components, no?

I worry about this 'cause I'm getting my first pb-free ICs, PCM2706.

It's impossible to solder this kind of ICs(SMT), so I'guess I'll use sockets and Sn/Pb to do the job.

What about SnPb + Pb-free alloys?
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMaster

It's impossible to solder this kind of ICs(SMT), so I'guess I'll use sockets and Sn/Pb to do the job.

Its a 28 pin ssop. Soldering these by hand is actually very easy. Just flood the pins with solder, then remove excess solder and bridges with desolder braid and a bit of flux.
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.

Also, this is unrelated to lead-free, but I've got 4 OPA4134 to put in a noisy PSU synthesizer but TI stopped production of the DIP version, so I'm stuck with a SOIC version. I might build a PCB to go in a DIP socket to replace the current TL064 with some kind of filtering on the same board. Should it work?
Old 28th August 2005, 03:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You can buy SOIC->DIP adaptors commercially pre-made. I forget the URL, but I saw it on this site last nght.

Wes

Hide this!Advertise here!