Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2005, 01:00 AM   #1
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Firefox help needed

OK, my software stupidity has settled in again...

I'm running Firefox as a browser, XP Pro as an OS. I upgraded my Adobe Acrobat from 5 to 7 and suddenly, Firefox won't use it as a plug-in. Under the tools->options->downloads menu, the file types box on the bottom is empty and the "change action" and "remove" buttons are shaded out (inactive). The "plug ins" button still works and I can pull up the list- which does have Acrobat on it.

When opening existing or downloaded files from my hard disk, Acrobat works just fine. It's just that I can't seem to make it work as a Firefox plug-in.
Old 23rd August 2005, 01:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

try reinstalling firefox. back up your bookmarks, etc. what version u using or upgrade to newer version (easiest method)?
Old 23rd August 2005, 02:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

I tried reinstalling it- I have a pretty new version, 1.0.7 I think. Same thing.

Might there be something in XP that's screwing things up? (Whaaaat? MS product with bugs in it?!?! Impossible!!!)
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

According to the Mozilla website:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/acroread.html

"On Windows, simply install Adobe Reader. Mozilla will detect the browser plugin if Adobe Reader is installed, and the Adobe Reader installer will install the plugin automatically if you install Adobe Reader after Mozilla.

"If you are upgrading from Adobe Reader 6.0.x to Adobe Reader 7.0, uninstall any updates first, in order of installation, then uninstall Adobe Reader. This will ensure a clean upgrade to 7.0. "

It sounds like this was the cause of the problem. Now, what to do about it? Try this:

"How can I remove the Acrobat Plugin?

"Delete the file named nppdf32.dll from your Mozilla Firefox plugins folder. You may have to enable showing hidden files to do this."

Good luck....
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Charles, that sounds perfectly logical. Many thanks!
Old 23rd August 2005, 06:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

That worked perfectly. Tip o' the hat to you!
Old 23rd August 2005, 06:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I love happy endings!

Hide this!Advertise here!