Labels? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2002, 08:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Labels?

A question:

Does anyone know how to label up or print on (for example) a preamp face plate; volume, function select etc. I am certain I saw this subject covered on a particular thread a while ago, but I cannot remember where.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate if you could share them here, or point me towards the particular thread(s).

Cheers

Brownlow
Old 21st September 2002, 11:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Why not try Letters C.
Little time consuming, but very easy way for labeling.
Final results can be better than most comercial products.
After all labels applied, they can be protected against
scratch by matte transparent varnish.
Use long time drying varnish (12-24 h).

I used same way on my projects, and they all look superb.

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sigma6.jpg (14.4 KB, 540 views)
Old 21st September 2002, 11:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The pictures are little bad, but in live it looks
simply outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sigma-back.jpg (14.3 KB, 529 views)
Old 21st September 2002, 12:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

How can we get in touch with Letters C?
Old 21st September 2002, 09:04 PM   #5
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Great job!

Really great looking stuff.

What and where are Letters C?

Ummm. That chassis and cover look great also - are they locally available or did you get them on-line?

Ken L
Old 22nd September 2002, 07:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks Kristijan

Kristijan,

The preamp looks very good, but like Bill Fitzpatrick and Ken L, I dont know Letters C. Do they have a URL or something to contact or is this just the name of the product.

Brownlow.
Old 22nd September 2002, 09:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

The Letters C are dry transfers.
I brought them in the local paper store (where you buy the items for the office, school, etc.).

I don't know where are they available on-line, but I saw them in
the RS catalogue (www.rs-components.com) stock no. 436-083 transfers for electronics, but I don't know if they have letters.
The price per one sheet in Croatia is around 2 Euro, also I noticed that in past several years some fonts are more and more unavailable.
The Letters C comes in several colors -
black,white,red,blue,silver,gold,yellow... - but the best is black, as it will stick more easily than any other color - if you stick it partially or missaligin then you will have to carefully scrub it down with the razor and it would not be as good as without repairing, so be very carefull and patient.
Applying Letters C is very time consuming (for perfect result) and this is mostly because you must perfectly aligin every letter.
First try to apply it to something else, before you do it on the your project - with letters that you will not use on the project.
For applying Letters C you could use soft pencill but it is also available special teflon pencil for that job.
There is no much difference between regular and teflon pencil, so if you will use regular pencil the only thing you should check is that the pencil is not sharp at the top.

After that, when you applied all letters you will need to protect it against scrubbing with a coat of transparent matt warnish (do not use gloss type, matt type looks much better).
The best type of warnish is on "oil" basis and no on "nitro" - when buying ask for loong drying type (12-24 h) and everything should be ok.
First apply one not too tick coat and leave it to dry several days at room temperature.
Be very patient and carefull at this stage because if you do something wrong the whole project can be lost and you will need to start it again from 0.
After that you can apply several more (not too tick) layers and final result will be unbeliveable (of course-if you done everything right).

For chasis, I brought Technics SU-C1000 preamplifier and then removed all electronics.
After that I removed all buttons, central Ni-Cd batteries, LED's, pots, power switch ...only source LED's (I replaced old ones with high intensity blue LED's), volume and selector pots are left. The remaining holes was filled with epoxy filler, than I painted whole chasis with silver eloxal paint and applied Letters C for labeling the source LED's, selectors, and back-plate with connectors.

Then all together was sprayed with several layers of matte transparent varnish and enclosure was finished. The final look is superb and there is no way to tell that is hand-made or modified.

Also, in the Passdiy gallery, and on my website there are some more photos of the preamplifier and minidisc that are labeled with
Letters C.

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lettersc.jpg (52.4 KB, 804 views)
Old 22nd September 2002, 09:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I believe Letters C is also known as Letraset. Try:
http://www.letraset.com/

Regards,
David
Old 22nd September 2002, 09:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is the same thing .
Old 22nd September 2002, 10:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Whoa, Thanks gents, very useful. RS it is then.

Hide this!Advertise here!