what do people throw away... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2005, 08:22 PM   #11
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
That's definitely true.

It is also true of Canada here, but not as much since our population density is so low.
Old 16th July 2005, 08:34 PM   #12
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1. Harman Kardon 430 twin powered reciever (early 1970's)
And so on.....
Sounds like the "Domestic Godess", had her will
Not mine, she is OK

Steen
Old 16th July 2005, 10:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The Marantz receiver I use in my lab was from the Wellesley Massachusetts dump, it drives a pair of Advent speaker cabinets which were left by the side of the road -- the drivers were replaced with Audax units and a decent xovr caps and coils.

Dumpster diving at small municipal airports is the best, however --
Old 17th July 2005, 02:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva

And even with that numbers, most of the products used in Europe are made in Europe and Asia. Made in USA products are seldom seen here.
Except for music, video, movies and software.

Then again, all those bikers in the Tour de France would be nowhere without DuPont's Spandex -- their drawers would be somewhere down around their knees. We are grateful that the Hugenot French DuPont family fled France for the nascent USA, despite 1789 and the triumph of secularism.

All is solved by globalization in which all men and women come to know the strengths and faults of the upright walking homo sapiens and embrace each other as equals.
Old 17th July 2005, 03:41 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I found a Quatre DG-250 Gain Cell power amp in the scrap metal bin at the El Cerrito CA municipal recycling center. Powered it up on a variac and didn't blow fuses, no DC on the speaker terminals, so I tried it out, sounded really hard and gritty. Opened the case and checked output stage bias current, was about 15mA for a 100W/ch amp! It had 3 repair stickers on it, so on the last repair I guess they backed off the Iq so it would last a little longer. Not so hard sounding after adjusting Iq to 60mA, but this one's better as a subwoofer amp.
Old 17th July 2005, 04:40 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wellesley Massachusetts dump
...now there's a town I DID NOT know had a dump! I can't believe they stand for such a thing there!
Old 17th July 2005, 12:39 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpmarino

...now there's a town I DID NOT know had a dump! I can't believe they stand for such a thing there!
They are very dump and veggie-burger conscious -- I also have a Fisher 400 from the same dump, just no time to get it up and running. My sister and family live there.

The Millburn N.J. dump is also fabulous. One of the physicians in our parish would go there during the week, pick up stuff, have a yard sale every month. All 3 of my sons got their first stereo's at the Millburn dump.
Old 17th July 2005, 12:51 PM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's easy to fool yourself about product origins. That bottle you have made in France was probably fabricated from polyester resins made in Delaware. The corks my company makes in Austria and Canada are based on resins sourced from Texas. And agro output for export also gets buried when value-added operations take place; the US exports huge amounts of rice and wheat which get converted to "local" products in other countries.

I've made a private little industry in rescuing monitors from the garbage. One particular brand ALWAYS has the same failure- a rectifier bridge and electrolytic cap. The company where I work was about to pay the added municipal fees for discarding half a dozen broken monitors of this brand. I took the monitors and 50% of the fee, spent a few dollars on bridges and caps, repaired them all in an hour, and ended up with 6 good monitors and a net $45 profit (before selling the monitors). Saved the company money, too.
Old 17th July 2005, 01:00 PM   #19
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

More opportunities:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/technology/17spy.html

(sorry, registration required, but it's free)

Many people are throwing away perfectly good computers because of the difficulty of removing spyware/scumware and the low cost of new computers. There's now no excuse for the audio hobbyist- everyone ought to have a dedicated computer for measurements and CAD, and now they're free.
Old 17th July 2005, 01:00 PM   #20
barn is offline barn  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hate to be a downer and it's not hi-fi but- the bottom line is that human population is out of control to the detriment of most living things on this planet - just stop breeding, less humans = a better world.
I have decided to not have children!.

No more said.

Hide this!Advertise here!