How about adding a spell checker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My spelling is bad and my typing is worse. I can see from many of the posts on this, and other forums, that many of my fellow DIYers have the same problem (some worse!). I’ve taken to first typing posts in Word, correcting the spelling, and then doing a cut and paste into the web form.

How about adding a spell checker and cutting Bill Gates out of the loop? It will help cut down on the “rediculus” spelling you see on many posts.

After that, we can work on a way to help those who type only in lower (OR UPPER) case, those who refuse to use punctuation, and those who only use “text message” abbreviated words
;)

I understand what you mean but most people here write pretty good and it's very seldom people are lazy in writing.

One thing to correct your spelling is to use the "preview message" function.

I suggested long time to increase the editing time to at least 24 hours but for some reason 30 minutes is set. From what I know diyaudio is unique, all other forums have unlimited time or substantially longer editing time.

One exception is http://www.electronicsdesignworld.net which has 100% moderation for all members and no editing at all. The moderation time is up to three days! No wonder why nobody make any posts there.

I know also that diyaudio is a bit special becasue it has so many members.

http://www.iespell.com/
I've been using this one for about a year and like it. It only works with Microsoft Internet Explorer and you'll have to teach it about audio words but it sure is easy. Just right click in the box you typed your reply in .
It wont help those UPPER CASE SHOUTERS and I still over punctuate but it does help me to look a little smarter. As for those abbreviated words, I know IMHO, brb and even OTOH but what is IIRC ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: How about adding a spell checker?

Sch3mat1c said:
Bah, learn how to type right

Bet you didn't know you were being funny. You don't type right, you don't type good, you type correctly or you type well.

dhenryp,

What say we track down those bad spellers and grammarizers and just shoot them?:D

Actually, my take on the issue is that provided you are able to make sense of the projected communication, mission accomplished.

That is very hard to say as I was brought up under the wing of an English major. Queen's English that is, shaken not stirred.

Cal

dhenryp said:
My spelling is bad and my typing is worse. I can see from many of the posts on this, and other forums, that many of my fellow DIYers have the same problem (some worse!). I’ve taken to first typing posts in Word, correcting the spelling, and then doing a cut and paste into the web form.

How about adding a spell checker and cutting Bill Gates out of the loop? It will help cut down on the “rediculus” spelling you see on many posts.

After that, we can work on a way to help those who type only in lower (OR UPPER) case, those who refuse to use punctuation, and those who only use “text message” abbreviated words
;)
Your solution is here: http://toolbar.google.com/?promo=mor-tb-en

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.