Building with Speakers -- the Cat House

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Most people build speakers... this project involved using speaker boxes as the construction material. One of my vocations leaves me with lots of speaker carcasses. I've built shelves, walls of shelves, benches, bedside tabes reusing as many boxes as possible, saving them from the fire (some are only worth burning thou).

This project as more interesting. We wanted to get the cat feeding area off the front deck & out of the kitchen. Food needed to be protected from the dog (even thou she thinks she is a cat) and from the rain & sun. It also needed to be suitable for us to access & a fun place for the cats.

Enter the idea of "the cathouse". Starting with a basic idea the actual implementation was driven by the shapes of the speaker boxes at hand. After a bit of in the weather testing, almost all the MDF/particle board boxes are now on the burning pile, leaving me with a nice selection of plywood boxes.

I am quite happy with the result -- and the cats are slowly taking to it. Still needs a bit of detailing and a coat of paint.

dave

Attachments

• cathouse-2.jpg
    cathouse-2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 237
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have designed various IMHO clever toys and houses for cats, and the only ones they like are the ones that look like something you've seen in a store. They just ignore my best efforts- they love the carpeted climbing structure like storebought I made, but I added a swinging rope for them to attack- they ignore that part.

When Iwas about 8 , our siamese cat used to sit on a shelf in the narrow pantry and reach out and swat the string hanging down from the lightbulb in the ceiling. One day we heard a terrible ruckus, and ran in to discover her hanging from the string by her tail. It was wrapped around many times ending in a half hitch. Best we could figure out, it had swung over and wrapped around her tail before she jumped off the shelf.

She and her tail were fine.....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
look like something you've seen in a store. They just ignore my best efforts- they love the carpeted climbing structure

We picked one of those up at a garage sale... 3 of the cats keep it coated in cat hair... they occasionally play with the hanging rattly balls.

The cathouse will be fully carpeted & foam -- they love foam -- after it gets a coat of paint. It is going to live outside so needs a coat of weather protectant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.