Reducing Audio Line Output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I have a Stereo preamp mixer which has a Line Output and is feeding into a Power Amp.
Can I somehow reduce the Audio Line output amplitude on the mixer using some sort of a attenuator, or perhaps inline resistors?

I'm finding that I have to have the amp volume controls very very low and still finding that my mixer output volume is set to half.
What I would like is to use my mixer volume controls to the fullest and not have the sound so load, but to do this I have to turn the amp to about one notch. What could be wrong?
PLEASE HELP!
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Freezz
rflachs@netspace.net.au

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
freezz said:
Hi All,
I have a Stereo preamp mixer which has a Line Output and is feeding into a Power Amp.
Can I somehow reduce the Audio Line output amplitude on the mixer using some sort of a attenuator, or perhaps inline resistors?

I'm finding that I have to have the amp volume controls very very low and still finding that my mixer output volume is set to half.
What I would like is to use my mixer volume controls to the fullest and not have the sound so load, but to do this I have to turn the amp to about one notch. What could be wrong?
PLEASE HELP!
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Freezz
rflachs@netspace.net.au

Hi,

This is a bit unusual. Could it be that the preamp/mixer has both an unattenuated line output as well as a volume controlled line output or preamp output, that you are not using? Do you have a pic of the backside/plug field?

Edit: I think I misread your post. Forget my reply.
Jan Didden

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
freezz said:
What could be wrong?

Hi,

If you connected the mixer to a professional PA amplifier, the levels would be OK. But, if you connect the mixer to a home amplifier then the overall sistem gain will be too high. The simplest method to reduce the gain is inserting an L-pad resistive network (for example 10k/1K inside a cinch connector).

Regards,
Milan

Re: Re: Reducing Audio Line Output?

Hi Milan and thankyou for answering my thread.
Just letting you know it is connected to a Pro Amp, all used for entertainment (DJ Gear) and not a home amp.
I did look up the L-Pad as you've recommended, can I just put one resistor in series to each channel on the outputs? Will that effect the quality or anything else? The reason I'm asking because I would like to keep it plain and simple without inserting a sub PCB
Due to it being low signal I guess I would'nt need to use anything bigger than a quarter watt resistor? is this correct?
Once again many thanks

Freezz

moamps said:

Hi,

If you connected the mixer to a professional PA amplifier, the levels would be OK. But, if you connect the mixer to a home amplifier then the overall sistem gain will be too high. The simplest method to reduce the gain is inserting an L-pad resistive network (for example 10k/1K inside a cinch connector).

Regards,
Milan

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Reducing Audio Line Output?

freezz said:
I did look up the L-Pad as you've recommended, can I just put one resistor in series to each channel on the outputs?

Hi,
you need two resistors.
Look at the picture below (20dB pads).
All resistors are 1/4W.
Regards,
Milan

Attachments

• lpads.jpg
    lpads.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 203
Re: Re: Re: Re: Reducing Audio Line Output?

Hi Milan and thanks for the reply
This may sound stupid but why 2 resistors? Why not just have 1 resistor per output inline on the output connectors.

Many Thanks
Freezz

moamps said:

Hi,
you need two resistors.
Look at the picture below (20dB pads).
All resistors are 1/4W.
Regards,
Milan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reducing Audio Line Output?

freezz said:
This may sound stupid but why 2 resistors? Why not just have 1 resistor per output inline on the output connectors.

Hi,
Amplifiers usually have 47kohm input impedance. To get 20dB attenuation with this impedance, the series resistor shoud be around 470kohm. This is the high impedance Lpad which is prone to EMI's and may inject noise, linear amplitude and phase distortion into the system. (in a nutshell)

Regards,
Milan

Hi Enzo

Yes the amp does have volume controls, but I'm finding that I have to have them turned down to about the first indicator (Notch) so I can't turn the controls half way up, because it would then make me turn the volume controls on the mixer down low.

Regards,
Freezz

QUOTE]Originally posted by Enzo
The power amp has no level controls of its own? [/QUOTE]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.