New swedish DIY forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

flickor är vackra :^)

dave

Very good and very correct!

OK, lesson number 2:

Det är roligt att bygga förstärkare och högtalare. (ä= ai in air, ö= u in hurt)

It is fun to build amplifiers and loudspeakers.
End of lesson number 2.

Here you can that swedish is approx. 30% "longer" than english. English have many short words. Compare with german which even longer than swedish.

Correct me if I'm wrong : Autoschiebenwaschenwasservorvärmergerät (thing which warms up water for the wipers in cars).

I may be wrong beacuse I saw this thing and I noticed the extremely long word, but it was many years ago.

Top Ten Svenska forum phrases needed

Peranders, perhaps you could translate the following usful phases into Svenska to give us a head start with the swedish forum.

1. How big a heatsink do I need?

2. Are these Mosfets suitable?

3. Does anyone know how to match mosfets?

4. How big a transformer do I need?

5. How much capactance do I need?

6. Does anyone know were to buy .....?

7. Does anyone have a schematic for ..........

8. Has anybody ever heard ......?

9. Will this work?

10. How many watts?

H.H.

P.S. Apologies to David Letterman

THE AWFUL GERMAN LANGUAGE

http://www.hamilton.net.au/twain.html#awful

"If I had not shown that the German is a difficult language, I have at least intended to do so. I have heard of an American student who was asked how he was getting along with his German, and who answered promptly: "I am not getting along at all. I have worked at it hard for three level months, and all I have got to show for it is one solitary German phrase -- `Zwei Glas'" (two glasses of beer). He paused for a moment, reflectively; then added with feeling: "But I've got that solid!""

Mark Twain

So, I am Swedish but I like German. Forgive for posting the old classic:

"The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will reseive this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be grown publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 persent shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be droped from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to a al ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru."

/UrSv

Re: Top Ten Svenska forum phrases needed

HarryHaller said:
Peranders, perhaps you could translate the following usful phases into Svenska to give us a head start with the swedish forum.

1. How big a heatsink do I need?
Hur stor kylfläns behöver jag?

2. Are these Mosfets suitable?
Är dessa MOSFET:ar lämpliga?

3. Does anyone know how to match mosfets?
Känner någon till hur man matchar MOSFET:ar?

4. How big a transformer do I need?
Hur stor transformator behöver jag?

5. How much capactance do I need?
Hur mycket glättning behöver jag? (How big smoothing caps do I need?)
Or
Hur stora kondensatorer behöver jag?

6. Does anyone know were to buy .....?
Känner någon till var man kan köpa...?

7. Does anyone have a schematic for ..........
Är det någon som har ett schema över (or på)...?

8. Has anybody ever heard ......?
Hur någon hört talas om...?

9. Will this work?
Kommer detta att fungera?

10. How many watts?
Hur många watt?

There you go! Now you can make yourself understood in Sweden :D

Top 10 phrases

You did know I was kidding right.........

"To write a burlesque so wild that its pretended facts will not be accepted in perfect good faith by somebody, is very nearly an impossible thing to do."

Mark Twain

H.H.

P.S. Now I can go clog up the Swedish forum with silly questions.

UrSv said:
So, I am Swedish but I like German. Forgive for posting the old classic:

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru."

This seems like a joke but in Norway they have made a similar thing for real.

information = informasjon
station = stasjon
(Norwegian peolpe, give me more expamples of simplifications in spelling)
si, ti etc = sj for every similar sound, just one way of spelling

In Sweden we have sj, ti, si, x (in reflexion) for the same "sound". Swedes are very keen on borrowing french (our king has his roots from France) and german (in the old days) and english in particular in these days.

We try to make our own words but the struggle is hard and bloody. We can't win.

harddisk = fast skivminne, no successs, now "hårddisk"

tape = klisterband, before tape now tejp
email = e-post, now melj
website = wepplats, now sajt or webbsajt
fake = (no good word) now fejk, common
server = filhanterare, now server

The list is long. We aren't like the french people (*). We think english is cool and swedish a little bit corny. I myself think that many people have a rather "slapp" (loose, can't find the word) attitude in using the swedish language.

Example: Jag har en latch där både stobe och enable signalen har pullup motstånd. CPU:n accessar bussen som är tristatad i sleep mode. Skulle watchdogen resetta processorn så triggar detta en interruptrutin som disablar utgångarna och displayen.

Or:

Du kan få mitt line card. Fast vi har outsourcat själva försäljningen till ett call center men ska du prata med en FAE (field application engineer) så ...

This is normal swedish and it's getting worse. OK, enough swedish for today.

(*) French people are very proud over their language and really fight for not to use foreign words. They dub every foreign movie (is it so?) into french. We in Sweden dub only movies for 7 year olds and younger.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.