PC Radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2005, 12:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PC Radio

You all seem like intelligent lads (and lasses), so can anyone tell me why the devil you can't hook up an antenna somewhere on your PC and receive radio transmissions. I would love to be able to listen to my favorite classic rock stations as I kick butt in some hot new game, but alas, this cannot be so. Anyone know of an add-on or DIY way to get local radio stations on the computer? Keep in mind I'm not looking for internet radio.
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

there used to be such a thing as a usb radio. it was a little box with an antenna thet you can control the stations and stuff from a windows aplication. i havent seen one for a while.

also a lot of those USB flash drive things have FM radios on them but i dont know if they are any good. you could plug it in to your sound card input.

or you could get an old reciever and use the pre-out and plug that in to your sound card input. that would probably have the best reception and sound.
Old 3rd June 2005, 01:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've found the perfect solution for tunes while gaming. I turn on my stereo system.
Old 3rd June 2005, 02:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh aye, I have a stereo system...one which I love. Problem is, it isn't in the same room as my computer. Sure I could move one or the other, but there is no space for them in either room. I usually turn on one of the other stereos in the next room, but that doesn't fly well if the rest of the family is home.
Old 3rd June 2005, 02:34 AM   #5
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's possible. A lot of TV tuner cards will also receive FM, and I think I have seen dedicated FM tuner cards too. If you're looking for DIY, then there is no reason you couldn't build a tuner onto a PCI card and hook up the audio output to one of your soundcard's internal inputs; just be sure to shield it well.
Old 3rd June 2005, 02:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Right, here is one of those USB Radios: http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/ave...a_usbradio.asp . They don't sell them in the U.S. though. A PCI Card is my top choice, now that I have a back up plan. As far as a DIY PCI Card...my expertise on such matters is certainly below the level needed for a project such as that, unless perhaps there were some instructions I could follow.
Old 3rd June 2005, 03:21 AM   #7
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
I have an old ISA tuner card for FM radio.

For some reason, I see a lot of these going around, but I've never seen the other types such as PCI and USB.

I expect that a DIY FM radio card for the computer would be a neat project.

How about a DAC controlling a variable capacitance diode in a simple FM tuner circuit? It could work out...
Old 3rd June 2005, 03:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

How about putting a CD in the computer CDROM drive?

I_F
Old 3rd June 2005, 03:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

PCI Tuner cards are fairly common and cheap (around here, at least) - they mostly are TV tuner cards with FM built in. So you get the added advantage of being able to watch and record TV on your computer
Old 3rd June 2005, 08:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah, sure, CD's are wonderful...I have a load myself. But CD's tend to slow my computer down more then most other programs for some reason. I listen to CD's when I'm using programs that tend to be lighter on the RAM usage, but running a CD along with a game is wicked tough on the computer.

Hide this!Advertise here!