Audio Magazines for the DIYer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How many of you read audio magazines? I'm looking for a new magazine or two that deal with DIY audio. I'd like to avoid the regular home theater / high end audio magazine, because I've read a lot that just review high end equipment, show pictures of people's setups, etc. That stuff is good to read sometimes, but I'm looking more for something that will include DIY circuit designs and construction ideas, ads for companies that sell DIY parts or kits, feature articles on readers homebrew amps, and then a little of the new equipment and technologies on top of that. I searched for magazines on the forum, but didn't come up with too much in terms of descriptions of a magazine's content. Anybody got any recommendations?

I highly recommend Sound Practices - a total of 16 isssues were published thoughout the 90's. A CD rom is available of all the issues, and paper copies can be sometimes found on Ebay.

It is the most entertaining, informative audio DIY mag around, catering mostly to the single ended triode people.

Another good one is vacuum tube valley. Do a google search, and you will find their web sites.

This Forum is better than any magazine

I don't know........ the forum seldom goes into the detail needed for serious design. Don't forget all the articles that Erno Borbely, Nelson Pass, Walt Jung, Richard Marsh, and Jan Didden wrote for TAA. I still refer to articles in TAA written over a decade ago. I probably owe much of my audio design education to The Audio Amateur and Hi Fi News. The interactive nature of the web forums are nice but no substitute for well researched and written articles. Hats off to Ed Dell the editor of TAA.

H.H.

http://www.audioxpress.com/index.htm

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There seem to be a lot of neat projects clipped from the pages of MJ. Of course, they're in japanese. Anyone know of a subscription source in the U.S.? As an aside, I really like the look of the japanese schematics I find on the web. They're easy to read and have an almost artistic quality to them.

P.S. I'm with Harry. I treat my TAA back issues like gold.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.