Extracting audio off scanned images of vinyl records!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read a report from a comersial show in a swedish/danish HIFI Magazine HIGH FIDELITY about a company that had been working with a laser based turn table. They had had been working with it since the late eighties and finaly this year they had a working prototype now. this was only two months ago.

///CF

Gilid,

seconded. All reviews agreed about that. And my Japanese acquaintant also is not happy at all. He returned to "mechanical" TTs.

All,
any idea how to tranfer vinyl to CD in top quality? I provide the TT. How to get data digitalized outside the PC so that a soundcard with SPDIF can rececive them?

For the record, no objection from me against SPDIF for recording/receiving data. Objection against SPDIF only for sending data.

small stylus

Referring to the small stylus, to track a record groove, in the early 1970s, I owned a phono cartridge made by a company called "Empire". It had THREE stylii that could be interchanged easily:

- A narrow elliptical stylus for tracking lower than is usual in the groove.

- A wider stylus for tracking higher than is usual in the groove.

- A normal sized spherical stylus.

The idea behind the wider and narrower stylii was that you could track lower or higher than the usual stylus, thus avoiding presumed groove wear or damage.

The spherical stylus was used for playing a limited number of record brands which were "predistorted" for spherical stylii. Back before the advent of elliptical stylii, there was a problem with distortion that increased towards the extreme center of the records due to a "pinch" effect...the shorter wavelengths towards the center of the records were harder to track with spherical stylii. Several companies, (I think London and Decca were two of them) added an inverse distortion to compensate for this.

When the elliptical stylus was introduced, it could trace the shorter wavelengths more accurately. BUT, London and Decca records had higher distortion, because they were optimized (pre-distorted) for spherical stylii.

For that reason, the top of the line of the Empire cartridges had all three stylii as mentioned above.

I was using it with an AR-XA turntable, tracking at about 1/2 a gram. It was GREAT!

Dave Kimble

any idea how to tranfer vinyl to CD in top quality?

Why not use a regular audio CD recorder?

I use my pioneer PDR-609. it burns only cdr or rw AUDIO cd's but the quality is very good.

(don't know if good enough to you Bernhard;) )

It has some kind of track detection that separates it in the cd.

the recorder has digital (coaxial and opt) or analogue inputs.

I bet this is better then pc stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.