The next big thing in cooling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That’s very interesting. I doubt diy’ers will be able to get there hands on one of those, they probably only take custom orders. That’s the bad news, but the good news is it doesn’t look that hard to build. The magnetic pump you could figure out, the tubing looks like it’s just a length of plane copper tubing, it doesn’t even need heat sink fins if you make the tubing long enough. The hard part is figuring out what’s inside the tube and how you could get your hands on some. Does any body have any more details on this or does anybody know where the patent is? It’s not mercury, because they say it’s non-toxic.

Leve

I think it may be Gallium.
Symbol: Ga
Melting Point: 29.78 °C (302.93 °K, 85.604004 °F)
Boiling Point: 2403.0 °C (2676.15 °K, 4357.4 °F)

I don't know where you could get it from. I wish the melting point was a little bit lower. Cold spots (anything less then 85F) could freeze and stop it from working.

For simplicity and reliability noting beats a plain old aluminum heat sink.

Then again before you rush out and make your cooling system check out this link on liquid metal cooling:

http://www.frigprim.com/articels4/LiqMetal.html

which says:
"Pure gallium, (Ga), melts at 30 C but several of its alloys have much lower melting points. The main drawback is its aggressiveness towards almost all other metals. All gallium alloys must therefore be enclosed within ceramic walls, which seems difficult to realise."
:bawling:

Back to the good old Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.