Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2005, 06:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Newb ? about speaker cable ohm rating

I'm building my first "hi-fi" system right now and I have a question about the speaker cables. I've done some reading, and the Ubyte-2 cable configuration seems like a really good idea. My question is, does the ohm rating of the cable really matter? I know that frequency attenuation occurs based on the ohm rating, but isn't most of that up in the Mhz range? The reason I ask is because I have access to some 50 ohm Aircom Plus cable on the cheap from a buddy who does radio transmission work.

If it matters, I'm going to be running ~8ohm, 93dB/W speakers on a 41Hz Amp 3. Thanks for the help.
Old 29th April 2005, 06:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You don't need shielded cable for speakers. A lot of people, including myself, use 14 ga. zip cord.
Old 29th April 2005, 08:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

In this case, the foil shielding is actually used as a conductor. The theory as I read it is so that you have both a nice chunky center conductor for good bass, and a thin foil conductor for high end. I've never made full range speakers before, just subwoofers, so I'm used to just using really heavy gauge wire of most any composition. I've also heard that CAT-5 cable makes a good speaker cable (twisted or braided configurations).
Old 29th April 2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by velmeran42
you have both a nice chunky center conductor for good bass, and a thin foil conductor for high end.
I love it!

Also, don't forget to put your amplifier up on a shelf to achieve better electron flow down into your speakers.

Cal
Old 29th April 2005, 08:55 PM   #5
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The aircom cable would be a very good speakercable, if a little tricky to terminate nicely. But just as good would be some think figure-8 cable. Just make sure resistance is low, and all cables will sound the same.
Old 29th April 2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

It's not just about thickness, the spacing between the conductors is also important. Too much space between them and you have an too much inductance on long runs. Generally though, thick zip/figure-8 cable is just fine.
Old 29th April 2005, 09:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon

Also, don't forget to put your amplifier up on a shelf to achieve better electron flow down into your speakers.

Alright, so what's the optimal slope to get adequite electron flow? Is vertical too steep?

Like I said, I usually just grab some nice chunky 12 guage for my subwoofers. Just plain old copper multi-strand. There's far too much snake oil and vodoo in hi-fi, sometimes it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaffe.
Old 29th April 2005, 09:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

I find that about 45% is about right. Any steeper and the electrons fall too fast and jam up at the connectors...
Old 30th April 2005, 02:33 AM   #9
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually I have been running my speakers on DC so the electrons all move neatly along in one direction. That prevents them from getting in each other's way going both directions.
Old 30th April 2005, 04:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Use the Aircom cable to make some nice rca's. Solid rca connectors you can buy for ~$1 each. Get some heat shrink as well.

Not saying it will sound better, but it definately looks better, and makes a much better connection (all the cheap rca cables I have make a lousy fit). Plus you can choose your exact length required.

Hide this!Advertise here!