Finder shortcuts Windows XP (like those in Mac OS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
peranders wrote: "I don't want to start a burning debate here []"

It is good that people like their equipment, and that they are passionate. However, perhaps it would behoove us to try to stay somewhat on topic?

Re closing all windows, there are certain keyboard shortcuts for that (I think it is one of the control keys followed by clicking a group), but I just rightclick the group on the taskbar and choose close group. As you will see, there are several other options such as minimize, tile and cascade.

Petter

peranders wrote: "I have found an undocumented feature in XP which makes it even more Mac alike"

There is a rather nice powertoy (see my prior post on page 1) that shows a picture of the screen that will show up while you are alt-tabbing. There is also another one that opens a command window in the place you right click. Sounds like you will like tweakUI as well.

The information you are looking for is here:

You should be able to find the information you are looking for by clicking start-help and support.

If you prefer you can peak around like I did in the Windows/help folder or search your drive for a file called keyshort.chm and doubleclick that.

A lot of applications also have shortcuts, particularly Office, IE etc. Certain devices also have shortcuts such as Intellimouse Explorer (highly recommended, my $.02). I also believe there are ways to change the windows shortcuts to what you prefer, but I have not looked into doing that. Perhaps this info will be available at www.msdn.microsoft.com

Petter

Both x86 and MAC computers are all PCs. MACs is the first PC (Personal Computer). x86 computers has much more PCI slots than MACs. Abit has made a few versions of motherboards that has Firewire, USB 2.0, digital audio output and input, VGA, an ethernet connector, and an additional drive controller chip all on board with out taking up any slots. Many computer techies like to have more devices in their computer instead of buying several computers with different devices in each. MACs has a limit on how much internal devices it can have.

x86 computers that people buy in stores are all economy types. This means that the motherboard is a Micro ATX type. On Micro ATX motherboards there is only about two to three PCI. Sometimes those motherboards has an AGP connector.

Dell, HP, Compaq, IBM, and many other store bought computers are hard to fix and setup a particular OS. In my opinion, designing and constructing a computer from the ground up is the only way to setup any OS much easier than store bought computers. Sometimes IBM computers are able to run *nix.

All applications has or can have shortcuts using the keyboard under Windows XP, WinME, Win98, Win95, etc. You have to set each program's shortcut manually. Under any Microsoft Windows OS from Windows 95 and up. You can make your own system folder that has a group of shortcuts to your applications if your desktop gets overloaded with shortcuts. I'm sure MACs are no different too on this setup.

Microsoft has hidden many features of their OS in the registry. Look up Win Guides. I'm sure MAC OS has this too or very similar.

MS Windows from version Win95 and up has a scripting langauge that is part of Visual Basic. You may have heard many security issues in some computer magazines about VBscript. VBscript can be used for anything that you want. VBscript is writen as a text file. The VBscript utility will read and run the text file without compiling it. VBscript is very similar as DOS batch files but more powerful.

DVD-RAM is alright if you have money to throw away. I rather buy a few 20 gigabyte hard drives instead of DVD-RAM. Hard drives are much, much, much faster. DVD-RAM and DVD-R is not the samething. DVD-RAM lets you re-write to the DVD. DVD-R is only a recorder without re-write ability. Many DVD players don't accept or can not read either DVD-R or DVD-RAM discs.

I don't mind using either MAC or x86 computers. I'm an universal computer user.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Electro said:
MACs has a limit on how much internal devices it can have.

current limits are 4 hard drives + 2 removable media drives, 4 empty PCIs, 1 AGP with a dual monitor card in it. 2 GB RAM. More drive can easily be added externally via firewire.

Microsoft has hidden many features of their OS in the registry. I'm sure MAC OS has this too or very similar.

Lots of features where you have to dig deep into the docs and then access via the UNIX command line. Lots of features built-in that Windows users don't even dream about.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
yeah well i had no choice on the dvd ram drive but i will be buying a 160 gig hdd and keep the 10 scsi 18.o gig hdd as the main os. i m going to upgade the dvd.ram to a dvd -rw since i work in a retail store i can get it for much cheaper.. i think that will be better than a dvd-ram drive..

Best performance is with the 7200 RPM drives and i think 120 GB is as large as they go.

dave

I already know that *nix has tons of features. I like to thank the people who created *nix. x86 computers can handle about 8 gigabytes of memory, several drives, and a dozen PCI slots. Since serial IDE came out, IDE hard drives can be several inches or centimeters away from the controller instead of being 18 inches or 45.72 centimeters away. x86 computers can handle more than one display, but its up to the user if he or she wants two to infinite monitors. I know that computers can not handle infinite monitors because of both OS and computer's addressing limitations. Any computer platform can have these features, but its either the motherboard manufacture or main platform company to include them.

BTW, there are 160 gigabyte hard drives.

ahem nope there at 200 just being relesed soon.. i work ina retail store and i read this stuff every day.. 120 for 7200 i believe but why have a 7200 when yu can have a 5400 with more reliability and less heat.. i would go for the reliabilty more than heat and more less stable drive out of the 50 we had in stock this year i bet more than 50% went back due to errors or failure errors from over heating and ect ect things and they drives get cooled properly.. maxtor and fujitsu is our main brand some time wd..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
but why have a 7200 when yu can have a 5400 with more reliability and less heat.. i would go for the reliabilty more than heat and more less stable drive out of the 50 we had in stock this year i bet more than 50% went back due to errors or failure errors from over heating and ect ect

I'll go for the speed (made a noticeable diff on my 450 G4/OS X). We haven't had nearly the reject rate you guys have had. Maybe 5% (of drives i have sold it has been 0%). Are those PCs beating the drives to death?

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.