PCB Layout software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2005, 08:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PCB Layout software

Dear All,
Where I can download a "Free" software for PCB layout ?

Thanks !

Thomas
Old 21st April 2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Deltat is offline Deltat  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Deltat Send a message via MSN to Deltat Send a message via Yahoo to Deltat
you can go to http://www.cadsoft.de/ and download Eagle. Im not a fan of it. I prefer orcad layout from cadence but its not free and the demo is worthless.
Old 21st April 2005, 08:35 AM   #3
eugenio is offline eugenio  Italy
diyAudio Member

try Eagle, there is a freeware version ( with limitation but fully...)

http://www.cadsoft.de/freeware.htm

or also express pcb

http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCB...d_software.htm

bye
Old 21st April 2005, 08:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Thomas, please don't open more than one thread at once on the same subject. I have removed the others.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st April 2005, 05:56 PM   #5
RHosch is offline RHosch  United States
diyAudio Member

I took a look at loads of free and inexpensive PCB layout programs, including Eagle, ExpressPCB, PCB123, PCB, etc.

I chose to go with PCB123's solution because it had no limitations (unlike Eagle), and the board prices for prototypes seemed much cheaper than ExpressPCB (not to be confused with PCBExpress, which is more or less the same operation as PCB123). The "community" freeware (PC and Linux) solutions didn't seem to be all that well supported. On the other hand, PCB123 has excellent support... give them a call, send them your file, ask a question on their support forums, man those guys are great when it comes to helping you through a problem. I should also note that now that I'm nearly finished with my first board in PCB123 it functions very well (ratsnest, layer change on the fly, multilayer boards well supported, easy to edit or create new part footprints, relatively competent autorouter, good artwork generation, design rule checking, 3D rendered board viewing, etc.).

As for it being proprietary (filetype) to PCB123, they do offer to send you the gerber file along with your first prototype order for another $50. Not that bad, really.

Lest this sound like a purely marketing post, let me quickly point out the glaring weakness of the PCB123 solution - the schematic capture program that is bundled. Apparently PCB123 purchased the SC from another source (whereas they wrote the PCB layout software from the ground up) and it is no diamond. Navigating the part libraries are a pain, many of the footprints for the included libraries (which are admittedly fairly extensive) are incorrect, there are bugs that you have to be aware of and work around, the on screen "look" of the schematic is not my favorite, net naming is cumbersome, etc. It works, and I got through it, and it will be simpler the next time I design a board, but I would guess that the learning required for the schematic is 4X that required for the layout program, which IMO seems a bit out of whack when you already have a schematic sketched out.

The upside is that the layout program will import a netlist created by other programs. I think they natively support Protel stuff, but I could be wrong. I've never used that functionality, so I can't comment on how well it works.
Old 21st April 2005, 06:02 PM   #6
RHosch is offline RHosch  United States
diyAudio Member

Example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board1a.jpg (98.5 KB, 237 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!