Xbox laser cleaner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My sons Xbox has been used in a smoking enviroment and lately when playing DVD movies it has been locking up with increasing frequency. Sometimes it will eventually play on. This dosen't seem to happen when he plays games though.

I was wondering if anyone knows of or has experience with a good product to clean the laser lens without damaging it.

It used to lock up only on older DVD's with scratches on them but lately it has been locking up on brand new, straight out of the box disc's.

Thanks;

Doug

That's it.... blame the destruction of all the Xboxes in the world to smokers :D *cough, cough*

I've used isopropyl alcohol on lenses for CD and DVD players without any problems, applying with a cotton bud and wiping gently. Another good method (don't laugh) is to breath heavily on the lense and use a cotton bud or microfibre cloth... and old photography trick for cleaning lenses out in the field. Apparently the condensation from breathing out is quite clean unless you've been on the turps or had garlic for lunch ;) There has been some posts on different cleaning methods on lenses.

You might be able to get into the service menu and realign the laser. I've done this on a Sony DVD player and let the auto align do it's thing over and over until it passes all the tests for each disc type.

Maybe it might be clapped out :(

X-Box

Thanks Rabbitz:)

I think I will open it up an clean it with a Q-tip. I don't like those discs you can by to put into the machines to clean the laser as I've heard horror stories about ppl using these and it damages the laser. Let you know how it works out.

Clapped out must be a British expression:D

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.