Sony home amp/receiver center channel cuts in/out. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2005, 05:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony home amp/receiver center channel cuts in/out.

I have a sony amp that I have for about 5 years now, it has started
having a problem where the center channel in 5.1 mode will cut in/out, and when it does I hear a click, like a small relay. My questions are, 1) What are relays used for in an amplifier? 2) Any ideas on what to check for (Maybe a cold solder joint on a relay?) Receiver is Sony STR-SE501.
Thanks,
Brian
Old 12th April 2005, 04:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

U have broken solder problem.

Inspect the solders and solder the suspicious ones, especially at the heat generating components.

The suspecious solder points are the ones that have another inside circle on the solder pad and is formed by a crack.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 12th April 2005, 10:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ace3000_1
Default Re: Sony home amp/receiver center channel cuts in/out.

Quote:
Originally posted by CptanPanic
I have a sony amp that I have for about 5 years now, it has started
having a problem where the center channel in 5.1 mode will cut in/out, and when it does I hear a click, like a small relay. My questions are, 1) What are relays used for in an amplifier? 2) Any ideas on what to check for (Maybe a cold solder joint on a relay?) Receiver is Sony STR-SE501.
Thanks,
Brian

Hmmmm Sony amp eh? I had one of these from new a while back (10 years ago), i took it back as it was full of cold solder joints. Took them 3months to fix the problem under warranty and when i got it back, same deal.

Like yours mine had the relay issue aswell. After speaking to the tech who did work on my receiver, he told me its a problem with the chassis being too weak and a grounding problem. Im not sure if this is the deal with yours, but it may give you some ideas.

Trev
Old 13th April 2005, 06:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info, I will take it apart this weekend and see what I can find.
Old 23rd April 2005, 07:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I resoldered all the main components, especially the relays, and it works perfect now, no cut outs.
Thanks,
CP
Old 23rd April 2005, 07:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ace3000_1
Nice one Cpt

Trev
Old 1st June 2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Elano is offline Elano  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Elano Send a message via MSN to Elano Send a message via Yahoo to Elano
Default CptanPanic how to contact you?

Hello CptanPanic,

I have the same problem on mine, but I´m not as skilled as you, can you mail me the how to?

I have the STR-SE501-DE545-445 Service Manual, if you point me some directions there it wont be dificult.

Many thanks,
Elano
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to immeraufdemhund Send a message via AIM to immeraufdemhund
i bring back old thread. I have the same thing as you elano and i'm having the EXACT same problem with my sony str-de445. which one is the relays? all the blue boxes next to the line-out connections?

I hope that i can do the same as you, i am so tired of switching to 2ch. I just want digital sound like i paid for. Well hopefully soon i can build my own, but it's going to take some time.
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to immeraufdemhund Send a message via AIM to immeraufdemhund
I did it !!!! i did the same thing as the other fellow did and it's working great. I'm watching night at the museum and the sound used to be cut off already, but it's still going i'm so excited. Thank you so much for this website. I hope to keep learning and helping.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by immeraufdemhund View Post
I did it !!!! i did the same thing as the other fellow did and it's working great. I'm watching night at the museum and the sound used to be cut off already, but it's still going i'm so excited. Thank you so much for this website. I hope to keep learning and helping.
Gee I don't know who'll read this but I am having the same issues i read all over the place about similar SONY receivers; mine is a a STR-DE545.

So the center speaker comes and goes as does the Woofer and left rear speaker.

Man....I out here all alone.

I am pretty handy, just wondering how can i recognize a COLD soldered joint and are there any more detailed solutions for this problem for these receivers?

thank in advance.

Hide this!Advertise here!