TV as computer monitor help, please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This past weekend I moved around my room and decided to use my TV s my monitor. I bought the Dayton VGA to componient video adapter from PE. I hooked it up to my TV and I get a signal, but it is moving from left to right over and over again. My computer works, I'm istting on the floor in my room with my old monitor next to me typing this. Does anyone know why this is not working, or what I can buy to make it work. My tv is a cheap advent 20".

Thanks,

Josh

i would never use a TV as a monitor. Unless you have a HD TV, which is not your case, you are in for some big headaches using your computer with a TV monitor. The purpose of that connector is to watch movies, usually from DVD on your TV, definitely not for keeping up on www.diyaudio.com...

I asked a few questions and found out why the VGA to componient video doesn't work. VGA and DVI are put out as progressive scan. My tv cannot interpret a progressive/HD input. I would have to have a down conversion video card. The guy said that the s video was a down conversion but was still in progressive and I was only recieving half of the pixels.

Last summer I did manage to put $3k into the bank from my summer job, and I've spent about $1.5k. I'm thinking about getting a HD tv. I was planning on waiting until 2007, when I would be a sophmore in college to buy a TV and they would be a lot less. I've done some research but its amazing how cheap you can get HDTV. I found a samsung 20" HDTV that was $160 plus $55 for shipping. This crappy advent was about $150

Any tips on what I should do on this TV situation?

Thanks,

Josh

PS. I'm doing this so I can sit in my bed and get online via a wireless keyboard and mouse, tips on good vireless keyboard and mouse combos would be nice too.

Some warnings, even a HDTV will not give you the resolution of a computer screen. But if im not mistaken, HDTV gives you 1024 lines which is about the equivalent of 1024x768 on a comp monitor. So if thats enough for you, HDTV is a good idea.

I would still explore the idea of using an actual computer monitor. You could buy a tv-tuner, or even an old internal video card that supports tv-tunning, they have been around for a long time, and havent improved all that much, so im sure you could pick one up cheap. One that comes to mind is the matrox marvel g400-TV.

this also has the added advantage of not needing a VCR, your harddrive can serve as a digital VCR, how cool is that?

So basically, a comp equiped with a tv-card, DVD drive, soundcard/speakers and a 20 inch CRT/LCD could do everything you need. and if u still need a to use a vcr or gaming console, just plug it into your comp.

your remote is now your wireless keyboard. i reccommend logitech, btw. IMHO are much superior to other keyboard/mice manufacturers (ie microsoft).

I actually use 800x 600 resolution, and am planning on using it when I'm sitting in bed too.

Well I've talked to my Dad about this and I'm going to sell my TV and my monitor. Which should I get thought, a HDTV or a larger CRT monitor? I can find them sor about the same price, Even If I were getting a monitor that had a high resolution such as 1920 x 1440, would I really use all that "power" by using my 800 x 600 pixel computer setting? One reason I like the TV idea is no need for the tv-tuner, although, with a tv tuner couldn't I use my sound system for all the TV audio?

Thanks,

Josh

If you are sure you will only use 800x600 always, (i think thats way too little on a larger display like 21", but thats your choice) then i dont see much difference between a HDTV and a larger CRT. At that point i would look into the actual physical depth of both and see how much room space you have (since you say they are the same price).

The way i see it is the advantages of a HDTV is: standard remote, no need for computer (possibly 16:9 aspect ratio).

Advantages of CRT + tvtuner: digital VCR, higher resolutions when sitting close or for gaming, no need for adaptor.

Sound wise, both solutions are the same. AUX/line out to your gainclone ;)

the choice is yours.

Well I just did a very very long post, and then it didn't go through, and I couldn't go back and copy my post.

Pretty much Brian told me about a deal where I can get a dell 20" widescreen monitor for $500. Cany anyone find a better deal. Space is no issue right now since my computer desk is about 32" deep. My resolution is low because on higher resolution such as 1280x 1024 the words are very small, and I will be about 6 feet away from the monitor. Would a 17" 16:9 have a bigger movie picture than a 4:3 20" when watching movies in widescreen?

there seem to be good prices at mwave

I wave been using www.shopping.com

Any suggestions on good places to shop or deals that you all know of?

Thanks,

Josh

edjosh23 said:
Would a 17" 16:9 have a bigger movie picture than a 4:3 20" when watching movies in widescreen?

its simply geometry to figure it out. get your viewable screen sizes from the 20" model and 17" 16:9 model. thats the distance from edge to edge. your 20" is 4:3 so with a little geometry, you could figure out the biggest 16:9 ratio box that fits in it. I'd work it out for you, but this is DIY right? ;)

I actually suggest you go with the widescreen also. I use a beautiful Dell 21" widescreen LCD panel at school, and although widescreen is a little odd in the computer world, i really like it. Two pages of text fit nicely side by side, more room when multitasking... you get used to it fast.

Also, a have a feeling that even though the physical dimesions of a 16:9 movie on a 20" 4:3 screen are larger, the black strips will give the impression that they are smaller. Optical illusion at work. Widescreen will always look more sleek and larger IMHO.

Plus, widescreen is the future.

Only disadvantage i see, is when watching standard 4:3 shows on TV. but then again, some widescreens have some half decent stretch modes that may be acceptable. or live with black vertical bars until they start broadcasting more shows in 16:9.

knock yerself out

Homer09,
Yea, I'm definately gonna go with a 16:9 now. That tv tuner you recomended, I had trouble finding prices but I thought I was $500, thats a little too much. I saw a HDTV tv tuner for $130.

Budget is now going to be set at $700, the lower the $ the better!! but the bigger the monitor the better, man, the best of both worlds, thats not going to happen. Well tell me if you all come across an LCD 18+" 16:9 HDTV/ready with a resolution of atleast 1024x768.

The Dell 19" looks nice, as does the Gateway 23", both are like $800 or $900, forgot, and the Gateway 26" is $999. Good size and good price, just need them to come down.

I'll spend up to $700 if I can find some spectacular deal, if its not a once in a lifetime deal than about $500 or maybe $600.

Thanks guys, and if there are any tips on tv tuners that would be great too,

Josh

When on the computer I prefer the larger screen/ the lower resolution, but 27" is giant for a copmuter and would look great as a tv from 8 feet away. I think that anywhere from 22"-24" are perfect screen sizes for me, its just prices are way too high.

The 20.1" Dell widescreen is about $500 on ebay since companies bought them from dell while they were on sale, but I'd like a little bit bigger if possible.

Any suggestions on where I can look for monitors/tvs online or what model would be good for me?

Thanks,

Josh

Although it's slightly off topic, I just bought one of these on the off chance it might be good and it really is amazing. Although the resolution is low (640 * 480) I only have it on an old 17" and it looks just as good as a TV, although they have really low res anyway. I'd bought it instead of a second telly and I'd recommend everyone else does the same.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.