DIY VW diesel plant makes electricity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rcavictim said:
Doug,

Thanx for adding your insight. I didn't know that about the block warpage as opposed to the head. Are you suggesting that merely putting in fresh rings (and a bore crosshatch with a deglazing stone, not a full overbore) might be enough to restore compression on a well used VW 1.6D? This assumes the valves are sealing of course.

Yes, in my experiences, you may get away with it. plus, you'd just need to remove the head and oil pan to do so (Did this in a Jetta way back when - car is still going today :D )

There is a diamond shaped inspection cover with two bolts holding it on the side of the block that the FI pump is on just forward of the oil filter mount. Can you tell me what this is for and if it would be a good place to place a hose connection to vent engine blowby from?

This port was for the mechanical fuel pump that would be used if the block were a gasoline engine. Also note that the vacuum pump is where a distributer would go. I would not put any vent in there.

sts9fan said:
I drive a VW TDI and I have been told that it is not good for the engine to idle for long periods of time. I am not auto expert its just what I heard. YMMV

Yup, there is *some* truth to that. After a while while running @ idle, the diesel will 'wash' the walls of the cylinders. Or so I've been told...

HTH,
Steve

Attachments

• lister.jpg
    lister.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 81
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.