computer on the fritz..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a "minor" problem.
Trying to install a wireless system in my house (highspeed satellite modem, accessed through wireless accesspoint and wireless router).
Installed my access card for my laptop, the accesspoint, and then started install the router driver - major problem. The cd rom drive crashed - does not read ANY cd's anymore, the computer does not communicate withe the drive - period. Several attempts to uninstall and install, system restore (windows xp) failed to produce results.

Testing with another drive showed its a software problem.

The problem according to the seller of the linksys card tells me now there have been a few incidents where the programm for the linksys access card conflicted with the windows os - nice to know, but how can i repair the darn system? Cannot even run the os roms any more to repair the thing.

Is there a way to communicate through the virtual dos - that what in my humble understanding windows os is based on? Something like command prompts?

Thanks for any help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.