How to make Fuel cells ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is interesting, I've been looking at fuel cells as a project for a while now and I just pick up bits of information on the way.

I would imagine that we'll have a hard time finding copious information on the subject, though, I think with some careful experimentation and logic, it could come off.

I'd be interested to see what happens in this area.

The Phillip Hurley e-book is pretty good.

If you have no money then that book will be of no use to you at all. The design requires platinum as a catalyst ($$$$) and DuPont's Nafion as a proton exchange membrane (also $$$$).

You might be able to build a molten carbonate or phosphoric acid fuel cell though. Google is you friend, so is the USPTO patent database!;)

Easy: grab some zinc, copper and a salt to make conductive water. The zinc fuel oxidizes to Zn(OH)2 + H2 (gas bubbles) in exchange for electrochemical energy. It'll make about a volt per cell.

Fuel cells, as the term generally alludes to these days, involves the ionization potential of 2 H2 + O2 > 2 H2O, with weird stuff, catalysts and so on. They can be made at home with kits but making them worth something is a matter of many millions of dollars of ongoing research.

Tim

No, more than 1mA (assuming you make something larger than a dime!), and it IS a fuel cell. It uses ions and their potentials, and oxidizes a material in exchange for electrical energy.

Is that not a fuel cell?

And actually, it is a lemon battery - if you use lemon juice for the electrolyte. Except, it isn't a battery, a battery is an array (a "battery", you could say) of cells.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.