Audio-Sector discussion splitoff - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2005, 03:57 PM   #21
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

OK, it's better if you have wood and the "problem" only is at the hot side but it's also a good thing to make the pcb so it's possible to use a metal case. Shielding is never wrong.
Old 18th March 2005, 03:58 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
As I mentioned, you can also use metal case if proper standoffs are used. Why do you choose not to comprehend it?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th March 2005, 04:00 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
OK, it's better if you have wood and the "problem" only is at the hot
And what problem you expect at the hot ?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th March 2005, 04:02 PM   #24
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
As I mentioned, you can also use metal case if proper standoffs are used. Why do you choose not to comprehend it?
What do you mean by that Peter?

Clearly it must be obvious that Per-Anders has a point and is right in this questioning and that you are not. The problem clearly lies in that he FULLY understands what rules and design issues are being questioned and you do not i.e. he DOES comprehend but you do not.

Personally I would, as a consumer take it as a clear insult, that my safety is disregarded.
Old 18th March 2005, 04:03 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UrSv

What do you mean by that Peter?

Clearly it must be obvious that Per-Anders has a point and is right in this questioning and that you are not. The problem clearly lies in that he FULLY understands what rules and design issues are being questioned and you do not.

Personally I would, as a consumer take it as a clear insult, that my safety is disregarded.
What exactly is his point? He mentioned creepage and 8mm distance. My board in metal case complies with that requirement. What else is there that I'm not aware of?
Old 18th March 2005, 04:08 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

My point is: In the design process, try to get the safety issues clear so you don't have to think about this afterwards. They should be in the first room, nothing to be laughed at. Try to get the latest information in the subject. Listen what others have to say (they don't have to be right always).

How should this pcb be used and by whom?

Mains voltage, demands of enclosures, skill level of users etc.
Old 18th March 2005, 04:09 PM   #27
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

What exactly is his point? He mentioned creepage and 8mm distance. My board in metal case complies with that requirement. What else is there that I'm not aware of?
Well, according to my understanding he is indeed talking about the creepage distance as well as fusing and from the pictures you have shown the board has, as it seems, several violations to those rules.
Old 18th March 2005, 04:11 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
My point is: In the design process, try to get the safety issues clear so you don't have to think about this afterwards. They should be in the first room, nothing to be laughed at. Try to get the latest imformation in the subject. Listen what others say (they don't have to be right always).

How should this pcb be used and by whom?

Mains voltage, demands of enclosures, skill level of users etc.
Can you point out specifically, which part of design here do not comply with safety regulations? I want details, not first room info.
Old 18th March 2005, 04:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UrSv

Well, according to my understanding he is indeed talking about the creepage distance as well as fusing and from the pictures you have shown the board has, as it seems, several violations to those rules.
Again, be more specific. Exactly what violations?
Old 18th March 2005, 04:13 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Let's not pick a fight but I'll doubt very much that it's OK to solder fuses the way you have done.

When we use soldered fuses at work we have special sockets for this so you won't melt the solder inside the fuse.

The main issue was that your pcb wasn't so good for a metal case.

Hide this!Advertise here!