Magnetic field insulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have just finished a home made subwoofer for my home sound system. I placed the subwoofer in a box right underneath my TV, with about a 30cm gap between the box and the tv. Unfortunately, the magnetic field from the sub is affectiing the colour of my TV. Is there any way to prevent this from happening, is there a special insulating material that would prevent too much magnetic field from going out?

Thanks in advanced.

Interestingly, you cannot insulate magnetic fields (air is as good a magnetic insulator as you can find). However, you can shunt them away with more permeable materials such as iron.

A piece of 22ga. mild steel ran around the speaker would probably do it. I'm envisioning a U shape here, ideally in the direction of the magnet, but that might overlap the cone a bit (unless this sub shoots down, in which case that'll do nicely) so do as good as you can.

Or move the speaker. :D

Tim

jacco vermeulen said:
Lead concrete works wonders with mri/nmr radiation and atomic bombs.

Err. MRI and NMR (one and the same; "MRI" was coined for exactly one reason: people fear being scanned with "nuclear" anything, even if they themselves are the nuclear subject!) use strong electromagnetic fields.

Radioactive materials such as "atomic bombs" (which are in fact not particularly dangerous (as far as nuclear radiation) in tactical use, where the device is detonated above ground, too far for the neutron release to cause significant afterglow) need mass to shield, either a hundred pounds of air (however much distance that is), a hundred pounds of aluminum (thick) or a hundred pounds of lead (much thinner, being more dense).

jacco vermeulen said:
You think that trick works with toroid pot/pans too ?

Sure. Transformers are best shielded in the direction of the windings; since a toroid has the windings contained, it shouldn't be necessary. A complete seal around the device (think box, not flat sheets) would work best.

Tim

I am sorry, i worked as a radiological technician, at the time the name was NMR scan. The word MRI came after i started other things.

Suppose i take two different diameter low grade steel pans, fill the gap with epoxy resin so that both do not make contact.

Would they both need to be isolated, from say the metal chassis casing, to do the shielding job ?

At regular pressure a cubic feet of air has a weight of about an ounce.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.