mains isolation distance on PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

What regulations are there reguarding the use of both mains connected equipment and low voltage (mains isolated) components on the same PCB that are connected with each other by opto isolators and relays.

I think that there is some seperation distance required but I dont know what it is or where to find the details. IEE regulations or CE rules or something like that.

Does anyone know? Im in the UK as well just in case there is any difference between US and UK regulations.

Thanks
Mark :)

If you Google for UK Creepage and Clearance distances I think that will help. IIRC from my brief stint as a small company CE Mark compliance manager/engineer (almost 10 years ago now) that the distance live-earth (for class 1 (earthed)) and live-case (for class 2 (isolated)) equipment is 6mm, so I would presume that it's safe to use this distance for live-lowlevel.

You would be better off researching this properly to make sure you quote the current standard as this will look impressive in your report. I was working to BS-EN60065 back in the day which I believe has now been superseeded.

Industry organizations may sell copies of the standards, but it is the government that requires their following. I would suspect the government will provide the specs for free.

Hopefully the Europeans standards are all converging, because there is such an alphabet soup of certifications now. US and UK do indeed have differing standards on many things in this area.

The opto isolators im using to connect between the triac gate and the low voltage side are the MOC3020 and they only come in a standard 6pin dual in line package.

The MOC3020 is mounted in a standard 8 pin socket, so therefor the maximum distance between mains connected parts and low voltage parts is the width of the socket, approx. 8mm.

here is my PCB layout in case anyone can spot anything that is dramatically wrong with it.

Attachments

• pcb layout2.jpg
    pcb layout2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 131
I had a look at some info on the ISO 9000 and it mostly seemed to be about getting your business managment to be in compliance with ISO9000. A bit strange I thought.

Anyway JochenH I will search for the standards you have suggested and see where I get.

Thanks
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.