Speaker project for kids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my attempt to start addicts. These are kids from Sea Scout Ship 5750 working on a little speaker project. We had 22 youth comple these speakers. The boxes are 1.22 ft^3 and the drivers are four 4" NSB's with a Dayton Neo tweeter. The crossover is 2nd order at 4300.

It was a good project for the kids. They had a lot of fun and love the speakers.

Attachments

• shopspeak.jpg
    shopspeak.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 233
Lot's of wood... about 1600 lbs.

The construction method was a folded miter at the top... cut the miter to 44.5 and tape the top and two sides together. glue, fold, place bottom and tack nail. We didn't have the kids on the table saw though.

They spent $30 each... oops! The cost was closer to $38.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 200
chipco3434 said:
Here's my attempt to start addicts. These are kids from Sea Scout Ship 5750 working on a little speaker project. We had 22 youth comple these speakers. The boxes are 1.22 ft^3 and the drivers are four 4" NSB's with a Dayton Neo tweeter. The crossover is 2nd order at 4300.

It was a good project for the kids. They had a lot of fun and love the speakers.

Kudos!

I was thinking of doing something similar, but simple amplifier based, for those that were interested in my son's scout troop.

Way to go!

speaker

Well the NSB's are the Pioneer buyouts at PE http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=269-568, the Dayton Neo is http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=275-030. Caps are 3.3 and 4.7uF. Coils are .25 & .35mH. Al parts are PE.

Costs (in quantity)
4 NSB's with shipping $4
1 Dayton Neo $4
2 caps $3
2 inductors $3
terminal block $1
=15 x 2 speakers=$30 plus wood (2 pair from one 4' x 8' sheet)

As a bookshelf or back near a wall they do pretty well. That keeps what little bass there is from rolling back. HT stuff would be OK because you have the sub. I think they sound real nice for ~40 bucks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.