Brown note: Busted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
didnt get to watch, but didnt they use a bunch of pro woofers OUTSIDE? youre not going to get that much LF output
they shoudl have done it in a closed off cement basement. or hell, gone all the way and used a wall of tumults!

It also would have been easier to do in a car...

they said 120db @9hz with 153db peak and narrow band noise...

That sounds to me like they could only get up to 120db @9hz....

If that were the case.... I dont believe that myth is busted. I read somewhere(I believe a report by nasa) that the intensity of an 8hz tone had to be over 140db for such browness to occur.

What kind of clowns run that show? they needed to build a solid chamber and line the walls with subwoofers. That way they get cabin gain, and it wouldnt require half as many speakers to get 100 times the output power.

It seems to me that they were just trying to prove that its not going to happen at a rock concert.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well I still think it's busted.
120 dB at 5, 7 or even 9 Hz is not only difficult to achieve, I can't see a situation where an evil force, trying to cause this might be able to do better than that in a real life situation. Unless they used something other than audio equipment to generate the wave.
They were able to get over 150 with a 20 Hz signal and Adams voice was vibrating, not to mention his vision was blurry.

Was it ever something to see the woofs at 5Hz. That was quite the excursion, but the people were still able to talk over the "sound"

If you look closely at the pics, you can see the Depends that Adam wore over his jeans. In fact all of them were out there in that parking lot with the adult diapers on.

Cal

Yeah audio equipment wont do that kind of insane SPL except in car environmet. I wouldnt want anyone shatting themeself in my car, so I'll try to stay away from confirming that myth.

I've heard of many people who have gotten sick from infrasound (actually happened once in my house) and have thrown up. But all in all, I've never heard of anyone who actually lost control of their bowels.

Most likely the mythbusters are right and the myth is busted.... but someone might prove them wrong yet!

I know that they are doing research on infrasonic weapons to cause enemy combatants to lose control of their bowels.

I also know that one of the car audio competitors who had a vehicle capable of doing 160+ dB at low frequency was doing work with a college or research institution on the effects of low bass on insects. Evidently they put some bugs in the car and played low frequency bass... The bugs basically defecated and vomited everything that was in their system out.

Another funny example was an interview with Fabio in Stereophile, where he talked about the low bass from his system making some houseguests sick. I guess he had 3 martin logan statements (front channels) and a pair of Infinity References (surrounds), each powered by some monstrous krell monoblock (I think his total system power was upwards of 6 thousand watts). His guests thought it was food poisoning until he turned the bass down.

I'm pretty sure that the "brown note" is not a myth, but based on how you described the myth busters doing it, I highly doubt that they reached SPLs capable of inducing it, especially if it was conducted outdoors.

Precisely the point. I don't think it would happen under normal high dB circumstances. Sure, you could stuff a guy into one of those idiotmobiles, turn it up and have something squirt out of him. I bet you could produce multiple orifice expulsion. I'm not sure he'd ever work again though.
If you had witnessed the set up, I think you would agree, the brown note was debunked. His voice was warbled and his eyesight was fuzzy, but no loss of continence. This was more SPL than you are likely to get at any concert or W.H.Y. The myth also suggests that your ability to perform a test such as a puzzle assembly should be affected, ie; disorientation. No problem there either.

Just my 2 cents worth. Personally I don't give a crap. :D

Which reminds me, how come you put in your two cents worth but people only give you a penny for your thoughts? What happens to the other penny?

Cal

Cal Weldon said:
Precisely the point. I don't think it would happen under normal high dB circumstances. Sure, you could stuff a guy into one of those idiotmobiles, turn it up and have something squirt out of him. I bet you could produce multiple orifice expulsion. I'm not sure he'd ever work again though.
If you had witnessed the set up, I think you would agree, the brown note was debunked. His voice was warbled and his eyesight was fuzzy, but no loss of continence. This was more SPL than you are likely to get at any concert or W.H.Y. The myth also suggests that your ability to perform a test such as a puzzle assembly should be affected, ie; disorientation. No problem there either.

My understanding was that the brown note is simply playing a frequency low enough that it excites the resonance of your bowels, cause you to poop yourself.

I think this is entirely possible in a car audio or even a home theater environment, so I personally don't think it's debunked. I'm guessing if he got blasted with a 9hz sine @ 140+db, he'd lose it. From the way the setup was described, it didn't sound like it'd get that high.

Cal Weldon said:

Just my 2 cents worth. Personally I don't give a crap. :D

I don't either, it just seems like most of their stuff, it's not really as scientific as it should've been.

Cal Weldon said:

Which reminds me, how come you put in your two cents worth but people only give you a penny for your thoughts? What happens to the other penny?

Cal

Probably gets taxed by the thought control folks at the gov't :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The problem was that they went with Meyer Sound instead of Clair Brothers Audio! When I worked at CBA they were testing 4 or 6 ML18s (dual 18 sub cabinets) outside in the parking lot powered by a host of Crown MA3600VZ (3600W total). They did a 30Hz blast for about 30 seconds and set off every car with an alarm within about 50 feet and it made me feel a little sick to my stomach. I was only outside for 15 seconds because I didn't want to permanently damage my hearing... You'd need some way to focus the low frequency acoustic energy to achieve a high enough SPL to test that theory outside.

This is one place where Bag End subs would have been appropriate, since they're EQ'd flat to 8 Hz. Since the output of a single sub is negligable in the lowest octaves, you'd need a pile of them.

They could've built something like a phone booth (or an outhouse), with a number of Adire Tempests on 3 sides, operating as an infinite baffle (the victim goes inside the box).

No doubt Tom Danley could come up with a number of ways to generate appropriate sound levels, and chances are he's already consulted on something like this.

The myth ain't busted until they've tested at 140 dB and the underpants stay white.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.