Help with The Twisted Snake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building The Twisted Snake power cable, here: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ttse.html

I am having a problem visualizing what the author is saying to do in the paragraph below. Can someone who has done this help me out translating this? Thanks.

At only one end of the earthing cable, peel both its wires near the sleeve, without damaging the shield. Then twist other two cables' shields with the earthing cable's one Put the previously joined together ends of all three cables' shields around the previously peeled wires of earthing cable. Then, tighten all with electrician's tape.

What they are saying is based on using shielded cables. The final result is that all three shields of hot, neutral, and ground are tied toether and those shields are tied to the ground wire conductor. The shields are only tied to the ground conductor on one end. I didn't read enough to see which end.

As much as I respect the TNT site for their very educational power supply discussion, I am fairly confident that 3 feet of "snake" will not actually remedy the wall receptacle, 100 feet of 12/3 Romex, a 20A overload, a 200A overload, 10 feet of 000 service entry and 100 feet of aluminum (and/or copper) wire from the pole to you.

I am obliged to ask what improvements you seek to gain.

Actually, to be honest that didn't help much. Sorry. I have three cables with 6 wires sticking out, two from each cable (B&W).

"peel both its wires near the sleeve, without damaging the shield."

Huh?

"Then twist other two cables' shields with the earthing cable's one"

Put the previously joined together ends..." Previously joined together ends? I was never told to join the ends.

"...of all three cables' shields around the previously peeled wires of earthing cable. Then, tighten all with electrician's tape."

I feel retarded that I can't figure this out. But, oh well...

Well, this is how you do a shielded power cord, which is just like a semi-balanced interconnect. That is, you hook up the phases as usual. Then in the end of the power connector you hook up the shield to the ground. The other end is just ground, no shield.

I haven't read the instructions. But I figure it's three individually shielded cables. You hook up the shield of each cable to the ground. Do NOT hook them up to the phases.

"I was never told to join the ends." Anyway, join the SHIELD ends.

chipco3434 said:

As much as I respect the TNT site for their very educational power supply discussion, I am fairly confident that 3 feet of "snake" will not actually remedy the wall receptacle, 100 feet of 12/3 Romex, a 20A overload, a 200A overload, 10 feet of 000 service entry and 100 feet of aluminum (and/or copper) wire from the pole to you.

I am obliged to ask what improvements you seek to gain.

PrimaLuna said:
Thanks. That helps.

Gain?? What gain?? Hell, I am just bored and love DIY projects.

I'm with you. I think the whole power-supply cable replacement stuff is a bunch of BS. *BUT* I do enjoy making cool looking stuff, and damn, some of them do look *REALLY* cool.

I don't care if there's not an improvement in sound, I just want to drool at my own handiwork and go "Dang, that looks highend." Unfortunately, this is probably akin to ricing out my stereo system, but what the hey!

I'm just waiting for someone to jump out and start calling us Pellicans or something :D

Yeah Motherone, I agree. I am redoing my interconnects, my power cord, my speaker wire, and speakers. I bought a solid tube amp that I am really happy with. But, you never know....ummmmmm OTL (think Homer S.) Probably the same bug that led me to build my bike, my computer, my large format camera,....I can feel my wife cringing upstairs....

...It's a sickness, but DIY audio feeds in inner music nerd. Plus it kicks a** at parties.

PrimaLuna said:
Yeah Motherone, I agree. I am redoing my interconnects, my power cord, my speaker wire, and speakers. I bought a solid tube amp that I am really happy with. But, you never know....ummmmmm OTL (think Homer S.) Probably the same bug that led me to build my bike, my computer, my large format camera,....I can feel my wife cringing upstairs....

...It's a sickness, but DIY audio feeds in inner music nerd. Plus it kicks a** at parties.

Gahh.. DIY is like a perverse sickness. I'm redoing all my interconnects as well. I actually had made some pretty beefy CAT5 speakercables. I had separated all the colors and done some pretty elaborate braiding.. The only problem was that the CAT5 was stranded, and a huge PITA to solder, and I never wound up finishing them. Oh well, the wire was free and I just wound up tossing it out.

I have a bunch of belden mini-quadstar (?) on the way (about 40 feet, in 6 different colors) to redo my home interconnects and my portable interconnects.

Don't even get me started on building computers :D I've built/rebuilt/modified at least two hundred in the past 12 years, probably more. Makes me dizzy thinking about it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.