Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2002, 05:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default I am running surround w/out a reciever

I'm lucky enough to own a NAD T550 DVD player which comes w/ rca 5.1 outputs. I run my modded ST 70 for mains, a homebrew solid state for center/bass and an old crown amp for surrounds. I lack remote volume adjustments which make tweeking levels difficult, but I like the novelty and the sound doing it my way.
Old 20th August 2002, 12:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well alton, I guess you beat me to this one!

I'm using an Apex with 5.1 outs.
The fronts use my Van Alstine mod ST-70.
The rears use my Triode Electronics mod ST-70.
The center is a mono amp out of a Hoffman console (6bq5).

The setup sounds awesome, although I can definitely tell all the sound is going through a chip(!)

I'm using my Voice of the Theaters up front with Altec Boleros (890C's) in the rear. I will eventually use my 604D's for center and surrounds.

Do you think five Altec 15" drivers will give me sufficient bass???

Rhetorical question--no need for a sub. I just set the output for full range speakers.

BTW, the latest Sound and Vision tested three powered subs and they were all down at least 3db at 50 cycles!!
I can only imagine where they are at 30.
The VOT's give me usable response below 25.

This is diy home theater at it's best-bare minimum circuitry and the type of speakers they really use in theaters.

Say tiroth--you got a schematic for that tube decoder??
I've got a pole barn I'm not using........

Ciao!

Lee
Old 23rd August 2002, 11:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Say tiroth--
Just wanted to let you know that The Apex AD800 is performing very well, both on the 5.1 audio outputs and on the video.

I'm running component video out and I see no digital artifacts in the picture. My TV doesn't have 3:2 pulldown so there is some jerkiness in the motion, but no more than any other DVD player.

The mechanism and controls seem substantial and well made.

It's got tons of interesting fetaures like color, gamma (brightness), and x-y scaling (zoom) adjustments, remote switching to progressive scan and NTSC/PAL, and can even show you the bitrate flowing through it.

It's got a karaoke input, but I haven't played with that yet. My kid wants to see if he can run his guitar through the karaoke input so he can use my VOT's (loud!).

All in all, a neat machine. We sell them for 149 bucks. Not for the "menu challenged" but great for experimenters!

Lee
Old 26th August 2002, 01:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I used a Creative Labs Soundblaster LIVE! MP3 + 5.1 channels. This sound card doesn't have all the features that a decoder box has but it does have interesting features for sound fields. If only Creative Labs stop sitting on their hands and start including more features.

If anybody can design a USB dolby digital decoder box that uses sunfire amplifier technology for its pre-amp. Then I'm might consider to upgrade to that USB sound box.

Those decoder units that people suggested are good but compare each to see which one is good for you.
Old 26th August 2002, 05:03 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RADIOLEE
There's a couple of those 500s on eBay currently, so I'll keep an eye out for one. I appreciate your pointing them out to me.
I have one of these and quite like it. There are some documented tweaks that improve its sonics (as yet not done in mine).

Click the image to open in full size.

The amps i use are in semi-constant flux. Right now i'm using 2 NAD 7020s for fronts & sub (virtual centre) and an RS 4-channel pro-logic unit for surrounds. Soon the essential elements of my separate HT will be integrated with the main hifi, and then i'll have tubes on the fronts.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!