Novice Question (with plea for help)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope nobody gets pissed off. I know this forum is for enthusiasts, etc. but I can't get info. anywhere (Sony, Toshiba, ASK.COM, GOOGLE) and after spending many hours on the WWW, I'm at my wits end. Anyway, here goes my question and I hope some nice person might take pity.
I bought a new TV for my wife (Valentine's day gift). My wife wants to hook up the TV to the 2 speakers next to the bed; but this seemingly simple task is driving me crazy!
Here are the specs:

New TV = Toshiba 20AF44 with 1 audio output. It's a stereo TV; but the audio only has 1 white and 1 red output (on back of TV) which says "MONO AUDIO". From the Toshiba website:
>>>
MTS Stereo/SAP with dbx®
Full broadcast stereo sound quality, plus access to bilingual or secondary audio signals.
Total Audio Wattage: 5 W
<<<
>>>
Fixed audio outputs can also be connected to an A/V receiver to provide a cleaner signal for two-channel based home theater systems.
<<<
SPEAKERS: SONY SS-H991 / 8 ohms / 100 watts

The TV istructions state that I need an "Audio Amplifier". Can anybody please reccomend a CHEAP Audio Amplifier that will be suitable for this purpose. I don't want anything fancy like Surround Sound, Home Theatre, etc. . I don't think I need a "receiver" for this task (that's for tape decks, phono's, AM, FM)? I just want to hook up the 2 speakers to the TV. All help greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Valentines day gift...... bad choice.......next to the bed....... you're in trouble buddy (only joking).

The white output is the left channel and the red output is the right channel. I think the mono only refers to what output to use if you want mono.

What you are after is a cheap integrated amplifier that has a volume control as the outputs are at fixed level. It will have more inputs than you need but that's the way it is. Something like this:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gSEP00010AX-490

I don't think it's a current model but gives you an idea. You could pick up something cheap on eBay or a superseded model.

You could also use a mini system that has an auxilary input which will give you FM, CD etc as well. Like this:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gMCS00010MCR-E100

There's a few options. BTW, who gets the remote?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.