Non-audio question: PDAs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for this non-audio question, but I need some help and guidance to pick a PDA.

As people attending this forum are already in electronics, perhaps some of them are familiar with this portable tool.

It's proven difficult to find legitimate information on which way to go, what to buy, reliability, etc.

Can anyone suggest units that you know or own?

Carlos

Well, there are two main operating systems: the Palm OS and the Pocket PC

Palm OS is made by Palm, Pocket PC by Windows.

I've owned devices of both operating systems, and highly prefer the Pocket PCs. They integrate with Windows PCs very nicely, and have many capabilities.

As far as good Pocket PC devices, I recommend almost anything from HP. I have a HP iPAQ H2215, and I love it. IMO, stay away from Toshiba.

Hope this helps.

rjon17469 said:
Well, there are two main operating systems: the Palm OS and the Pocket PC

Palm OS is made by Palm, Pocket PC by Windows.

I've owned devices of both operating systems, and highly prefer the Pocket PCs. They integrate with Windows PCs very nicely, and have many capabilities.

As far as good Pocket PC devices, I recommend almost anything from HP. I have a HP iPAQ H2215, and I love it. IMO, stay away from Toshiba.

OK, now I am beginning to understand why HP PDAs are so expensive: Windows it's involved...

My first contact with PDAs was with HPs, because there's an audio card that you can plug into some models and convert the PDA into a very high-quality recorder.

But the models you need are about $500 or more, and I think that's waayyy too much money for such a potentially fragile unit.

The models I had been looking at are the simpler types, like Zire 31, Zire 71 and Tungsgten E (and some Sony Clie), but I am not sure if that's the way to go.

Carlos

Honestly, it's all a matter of taste. I like my HP which I paid $400 a year and a half ago because it has really great sound quality for playing back MP3s, a universal learning capable remote control, both CF and SD slots, bluetooth modem, and if I need it 10+ hour battery life, all in a really small package.

There are, or used to be I thought some HPs under $200.

Are you looking for any particular feature?

Reece

rjon17469 said:
Honestly, it's all a matter of taste. I like my HP which I paid $400 a year and a half ago because it has really great sound quality for playing back MP3s, a universal learning capable remote control, both CF and SD slots, bluetooth modem, and if I need it 10+ hour battery life, all in a really small package.

There are, or used to be I though some HPs under $200.

Are you looking for any particular feature?

Perhaps I should go into this field slowly and get to know what's available before going full in. That's my idea.

Bluetooth is not something I need right now either, only infrared to comunicate with other PDAs.

Just one slot for memory card, 256 or 512MB, where I can put music or information.

Primary applications are address/phones, information data (compatible with Word) to carry with me, some simple games, MP3s perhaps (though I think minidisc sound is better) and a long term battery (certainly +10 hours).

I am sure other applications will come along, as I learn on potentiality. Having a tool that I can interface with my PC, particularly with Word, sounds interesting.

Interesting: one thing that I don't find appealing is a a built in camera. But I would find it useful to have a scanner on a PDA that could OCR certain texts I might be reading. Just a thought.

GPS is not really for me, but some city maps might be.

Can I load some electronic circuits designs on a PDA to take along with me? How? I mean something I can work with during flying, for instance.

Carlos

You might want to browse a few of the Pocket PC software sights to see what's available in terms of software.

http://www.handango.com/
http://pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php

These are two good sites that I regularly use. Pocket PCs require their own coded software, like Palms do.

Take a look around at the different models, both Palm and Pocket PC, and see what fits your price range and needs.

Reece

i have a sharp zaurus. it needs better software. its big and impressive.

the ability to ssh into my home computer is nice.

i really like it's thumb keyboard, but apparently the thumb was not ment to move like that and there coul be some health risks associated with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.