National IQ test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Engineering Exam/IQ Test

Cut and paste from somewhere --
REDNECK ENGINEERING EXAM

> > > > Subject: FW: Redneck Engineering Exam
> > > >
> > > > This it titled: Redneck Engineering Exam.
> > > >
> > > > 1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will
> > > > support a 10 pound possum.
> > > >
> > > > 2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed
> > on
> > > > blocks in your front yard? 66 Ford Fairlane, 69 Chevrolet Chevelle,
> 64
> > > > Pontiac GTO.
> > > >
> > > > 3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20
> > gallons
> > > > of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense
> the
> > > > product?
> > > >
> > > > 4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The
> > > > density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre.
> > The
> > > > plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches.
> How
> > > > many Budweiser Tallboys will it take to cut the trees?
> > > >
> > > > 5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
> > > > simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?
> > > >
> > > > 6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a
> > > field
> > > > rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet.
> > The
> > > > porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how
> > many
> > > > hound dogs will be killed?
> > > >
> > > > 7. A man owns an Tennessee house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow
> with
> > > an
> > > > average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the
> > children
> > > > place a mobile home on the man's land?
> > > >
> > > > 8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down
> a
> > > > steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given
> the
> > > > average traffic loading of secondary roads, what are the chances that
> it
> > > > will strike a vehicle that has a muffler?
> > > >
> > > > 9. A coal mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area.
> The
> > > > mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the
> > > beginning
> > > > of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked
> > during
> > > > the shift?
> > > >
> > > > 10. At a reduction in gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per
> > generation,
> > > > how long will it take a town that has been bypassed by the interstate
> to
> > > > breed a country-western singer?

GP,

methinks such public tests are smoothed, they show fantastic sensitivity in the mid band but do refuse to let anyone raise over 140 or fall below 80. The latter to avoid riots, i presume :)

We had such a public test recently in Germany. I was visiting my parents (who once when i was still in school made such a test in private on me -- without telling me the results of course).

Pushed by mother, I participated and scored quite high in the public TV test. Then i asked myself what is wrong with the test and started to analyze the point scheme just to find that raising over 140 was practically impossible even with full score. Are there cases of IQ170 reported, am i right with this? And there was this ununderstandable age dependence rule.
Did not fit. Later my mother asked me what i found out. I told her and she said "the test is flawed!! I knew the test was flawed from your score, I could tell you how much but i won't."

There was another thing, the IQ test i made in private was measuring seconds i needed to answer. Accurately.
The public TV test recently gave me too much time, i had the answers within 25 to 75% of the available time and i did never get in a rush. Of course there were QQ could not answer at all. But i got no reward for the seconds i had the answer early.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dice45 said:
(who once when i was still in school made such a test in private on me -- without telling me the results of course).

IQ tests are too narrow to truly guage the scope of someone's intelligence. A word where i consider Tim Leary's definition to be a very valid one. Something like "how the person responds to their environment". This definition allows, for instance, that an Australian aborigine in his outback environ is way more inteligent than me there.

I only ever faced 1 IQ test. i was 8, and my mother never did tell me my score (years later she told me my score was over 135, but wouldn't tell me how much). I finished way ahead of everyone else. Hasn't helped me get rich...

dave

I.Q. tests are not to be taken so seriously.

They are a very very general view of what intelligence is.
Real intelligence tests should be very long and have many subjects that are tested. And still they might be very far from finding the true IQ. The factors are so many that many scientists think that it isnt so practical to make such a test. The main factors that can change the test is language, culture, age, sex, way of calculating etc.

Usually IQ tests are made by military , goverments, companies and don´t really test intelligence but "smartness" to say in some specific topic.

hum.

an intelligence test doesnt test subjects at all. it tests the ability to learn and comprehend information. thats why things like language inference, derived mathematics, and spacial orientation are on them. all can be picked up and learned without previos knowledge.

there are 8 categories to truly judge intelligence. it IS possible contrary to popular belief. but it is very involved. also, it isnt totally accurate because some of the tests are difficult to administer. social skills is actually a part of the test. trying to test on this without regard to culture is nearly impossible.

I read a very interesting article the other day about logic.
It was trying to prove that logic is not ingrained into humans. It is learned. Furthermore, not all cultures have logic.
Here was an example from the article:
An African tribesman was told that up north all bears are white. Then he was told that his brother, who was visiting the north, saw a bear. The question posed to the tribesman: "What color was the bear?" His reply: "I didn't see the bear, why don't you ask my brother?"
The man could not answer the question. It wasn't becuase he was stupid, but because he never learned to think logically.
I thought it was weird.

Flawed Testing

My understanding is that IQ tests really only guage how good you are at doing IQ tests.
25 years ago, before an entrance exam, that turned out to be a 5 hour IQ test, a friend loaned me several Penguin Press IQ test books.
With a bit of practice you learn to glom onto quickly what might have seemed an obscure question in subsequent tests.
Practice at example tests helps in subsequent ones, so the tests are guaging experience (knowledge) also, as opposed to straight out reasoning power (intelligence ?).

Eric.

BTW, I passed the 5 hour test.

Ahhhh well, at least it gives the weak and nerdy something they can possible boast about in this day and age.

BTW, I work with a fellow in his early forties like me, who when he was 14 did a MENSA test and he got 165 which was as high as the test would measure. This same person comes into work with his jumper inside out, shoes not done up, and tooth paste on his face. In contrast to me, he has zero power of intuitive reasoning, everything belonging in the mathematical realm. My limits are similar to Excels limits whereas he gives Mathematica a good hiding. My favourite story about him (of many BTW) is the time he went to the hardware shop and bought a long plank of wood and opened the back of his station wagon and rested the far end of the wood on the dashboard so it would just fit in the length of the car - or so he estimated. He then slammed the rear hatch door down and consequently rammed the other end of the wood through the windscreen. :p Something about spatial ability there.

Some of my closest friends have been people who are as thick as two short planks, but the point is that they were really nice people. I'd choose that over IQ any day.

GP.

My 2 cents

It was an absolute crock and i cant believe the attention that it brought about. It was an IQ test for crying out loud. As much as I am sure we all struggled with 8-5, it was simply an exercise in marketing. My congratulations go out to the nine network, for pulling in so many suckers (except for DIYers). They made an absolute packet on a TEST, I cant remember ever looking forward to a test.

It seems to me that everyone who takes an IQ and scores low is ready to discredit it and those who score high laud it. After all, if I am successful in society and have the respect of my peers how dare some objective test tell me I'm an idiot? I read an interesting psychological study once that put a group of idiots together and the "alpha retard" if you will, actually gestured himself as though he were a peer of a higher IQ grouping he was introduced to and tried to contribute by stating obvious points in a loud voice in order to impress his leadership on the new peergroup. Further studies have shown that retards associated in peer groups of high IQ and later introduced to groups of higher intelligence than his own but less than his original peer group, considered himself smarter than this new group because of his former association. Is it any wonder that IQ tests are the source of such derision?

The only formula for true wisdom is being able to recognize the truth of something. It is only this that will enable the incorrect to correct themselves and the ignorant to learn. As you may have already guessed, this requires a certain humilty which is too rare a condition in human nature. Right opinion on something you don't know is closer to the truth than knowing something wrong. If you scored poorly, suck it up and know you can still do the right things if you follow what is true no matter who finds it out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.