What got you started? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2002, 07:20 AM   #1
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Default What got you started?

Hi all,
I was wondering how you DIYers got started, especially the ones who did not study electronics or those who are not working in the electronics field.
For me, the inspiration was my uncle, a whiz at DIY. Watching him wind his own transformers, construct, repair was a fantastic sight. That led me to pursue a B.Sc in electronics. And of course, there were was one other guy in college who was a DIY buff.
I would like to see comments from others too.

Cheers,
Vivek
Old 6th August 2002, 07:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
For me it was guitar pedals. I was always into electronics, but when i started guitar the ammount of schematics for pedals that were either obsolete, discontinued, original or simply ridiculously expensive grabbed me.
Old 6th August 2002, 07:46 AM   #3
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
I think it was electronic toys that my mother bought for me when I was a kid. Then I remember starting to take everything electronic apart (my grandparents huge tube radio, transistor radio, heh even the tv when my parents weren't home oh did I get in trouble for that one!)...
Old 6th August 2002, 08:01 AM   #4
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Jean,
I did that too. I opened up our TV set and looked around when my parents were out. Fortunately for me, nothing went wrong or else I would not be here today.
Oh and how can I forget the cassette player I totally wrecked with the excuse of fixing it after it conked out. Now, I salvage it for parts.

Vivek
Old 6th August 2002, 03:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Genetics ?

I am the third generation in electronics.
My Grandfather had a repair shop in Denmark, my father manufactures pro audio gear, and I have a repair shop, have done plenty of live mixing and do little experiments all the time - on other peoples gear.
It is in my blood.

Eric.
Old 6th August 2002, 03:19 PM   #6
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
i too used to dismantle things as a kid just to see how they worked. of course, taking something apart and seeing a circuit board as a kid told me nothing, but i still enjoyed taking it apart

i ended up here (and ultimately becoming more and more DIY), becuase of the projector thread. but, after seeing nelson pass here, i was hooked. knowing i could build old pass labs stuff with supervision and guidance, i was all for it. so, i guess the prescence of pass was the main factor.

thank you nelson.
Old 6th August 2002, 05:14 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My 1st DIY was to disassemble the flip down TT hifi my parents had bought and rehouse it into separates (in my early teens). The speaker boxes were made of a double layer of wood i salvaged from mandarin orange crates with orange grill cloth -- i still have one of those boxes. I still have the amp from this which went thru another transformation into my 5-buck amp.

dave
Old 6th August 2002, 06:18 PM   #8
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

For me, it was the 150-in-1 electronics project kit from Radio Shack that my parents got me for Christmas one year when I was a kid. You could make all kinds of radios, oscillators, etc.

Several years later, I build a pair of cheap stereo speakers (again, used Radio Shack components) after toasting a pair of bookshelfs with a 100wpc amp. Necessity caused this one Good thing, too, as they will be my test speakers for my new a40 amp - don't really care what happens to them...

Then I grew up and found this place, though I should probably be spending my time elsewhere
Old 6th August 2002, 06:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
For me it was simple, I couldn't afford to buy it so I started building. Now, when I probably could afford it, I think I can build it better myself.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th August 2002, 08:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

For me it started when I walked into a JBL dealer back in the 70’s. They were playing a tri-amped system they built as a rental and I was hooked. I read some articles in Audio Magazine that referenced papers by these guy’s, Theile, Small, Allison, Olsen, and others. So it was off to the library dumping rolls of nickels into the copy machine coping journal papers one after another. When I began to read the papers, it was very apparent that all these guys were Greek because I couldn’t understand a thing they were saying. I decided to leave the hangout in front of the drugstore and go back to school to get my BSEE, but in the mean time, I did manage to DIY my sub-bass end tables via the JBL instructions.

Rodd Yamas***a

Hide this!Advertise here!