Reasons for diy???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Because-
We can, we want to keep learning in a deeper than retail way,we are sick of paying too much for too little, we want to save $, we want the satisfaction of sitting back and thinking I did that and I did it my way.

Just a quick start to the answer.

With shop-bought kit, I reached the limits of what I could afford.

Furthermore, I'm always learning about the possibilities of tailoring the kit to one's own preferences and room. This is a huge plus for DIY, because in hi-fi 'one size' doesn't fit all...

Then of course there's the huge satisfaction that comes with having made (or even just modded!) something yourself. And the excitement that you're listening to something with special, almost unique qualities, for not all that much money :cool:

AudioFreak, DIY hi-fi keeps me tossing and turning in my sleep, in fact it often has the opposite effect of keeping me sane! But then a listening session with it can be pretty uplifting and relaxing... :spin:

On the other hand,

Actually, I'd like to hear about just about the opposite. Where's a course on Tubes and a course on Audio applications using tubes? I want to get a higher understanding of tube electronics & electronics.

In reference to the thread starter,
DIY is a hobby, a method keeping with current trends, a task to stay mentally active. DIY is great for eye/hand coordination as well.

Heck, if you don't like audio, there's lots of other DIY to get into!

GH

:cannotbe:

This may sound a bit odd but what started me building my first pair of speakers was a space problem - there was a definate height, width, depth available between the tv and fireplace, any retail speakers that I looked at did not fit so I thought - stuff it !, I'll make it my self.

Why I DIY...well, once, anyway

I really needed an headphone amp to drive my AKG K271's that I use at work. The garden variety CD player just can't do justice to these cans. So, I started looking at headphone amps, and was rather stunned to see that even a basic, battery powered headphone amp was $100.

Now, keep in mind that I work in electronics as an Engineering Aide, which meant that a) I have many years of experience of building/testing/troubleshooting electronics, drawing schematics, etc., and b) I had access to all the parts, tools, test equipment, etc., that any geek could ever want. So, basically, I decided that I would build me an amp.

Found a circuit on Headwize, found all the parts in our stockroom, and for a weekends worth of time, built a very nice Class A amp. Scrounged a Power One dual PS from an old test fixture I had built and didn't need any more, and I was in business! Sounds great, at least to my ears, measures very flat (+/- .2 dB, 20 Hz to 20 KHz), and, I built it myself.

Next project: Portable amp for travel. I'm got a PCB layout pretty much done (I also have access to Power PCB layout software, as well as schematic capture SW). Run the board on the milling machine and I should be set.

So, bottom line, for me DIY is just an extension of my job.
Which is probably why I don't do it very often.:)

Cheers!

:drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.