Music transient lengths?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I wonder how long transients can be found in normal music?

Often amplifiers have peak power measured with a 20ms burst, but I have a feeling that 20ms is too short and I could use the info on choosing a PS trafo and caps in my chipamp (eg. whether to concentrate more on RMS power or peak power).

Let's say you had a clean peak at 100Hz. each cycle being a hyndredth of a second. That means the whole cycle is 10ms long or 5ms on each polarity. But that is the width of the pulse at its base. SInce you are woried about current, you pick a point further up the waveform, which will be narrower. But even at square waves, that is alternating 5ms peaks. If my math works, you need to go down to 25Hz to get that 20ms per peak. And I doiubt you will eb amplifying 25Hz squares.

CHances are your peaks will be at the bottom end, so do some calculations. COnsidering which portions of the waveform will be taxing the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.