diyAudio (
-   Everything Else (
-   -   voltage conversion (

mike moore 12th October 2000 09:07 PM

Could you reccommend a site where I might find info on converting 220V
> equipment to 120V. I've got a British amp and would like to convert it
> for use here (US). Thanks in advance Mike

pixie 12th October 2000 09:46 PM

Radio Shack
I would check Radio Shack believe it or not.
All you need is a simple step down transformer.


promitheus 7th February 2001 11:25 PM

Yeah I think the easiest to do is use a 220 to 110 transformer. Even better would be to change the transformer inside the amp but it could be not so practicle.

Lisandro_P 9th February 2001 02:14 AM

Using a 220v to 110v transformer *will* work, but normally the kind selled by Radio Shack is not the best quality... besides, you'll have two input transformers heating. I'd really try to change the internal power supply transformer to one rated for the same output voltage (you can measure it) and 110v input. It'll run much cooler.

audiorasp 10th February 2001 07:43 AM

check transformer?
Have you checked the mains transformer of the amp? It may be possible for the transformer to have a dual primary that can be wired for 220 or 110. You would have to get inside and trace the primary windings, or contact the manufacturer for instructions.

G. Cherhit

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio