my newest project: kegerator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Here is my latest project:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/kegerator

I decided that having a keg in my basement would be a good idea, and make thursday night poker night more fun :)

It wasn't too hard to make, as I already had the fridge from my old dorm days. I relocated the compressor and removed the compressor shelf inside the unit, which allowed for a full keg to fit inside. I used 3 layers of 1/2" foam to create a new back/bottom for the fridge, and used expanding spray foam for the corners. Hooking up the CO2 tank and lines was quite simple, and beer flows great through it.

--
Brian

Attachments

• kegerator.jpg
    kegerator.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 390
Joined 2002
jackinnj said:

15.5 gallons of beer (about 2000 ounces @7% EtOH) is the moral equivalent of 10 bottles of Jack Daniels, but there is a smaller "bladder snubber" effect. I will let you engineering students figure out the equi-valency.

I have Killian's in there now (2nd keg, 1st was Heineken, which got emptied with christmas parties), and it is 5% alcohol, not 7%.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Cal Weldon said:
You get the brewer to fill your kegs?

I thought this is DIY ;)

Here's a thread that shows my set up:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33382&highlight=

Cheers :D

Cal

Nice setup!

I have actually been looking into making my own beer, as I would just have to pick up a coke canister to add to my setup for the kegerator. I went to a beer making class at a local home brew shop, and was amazed how simple it looks. I picked up a burner and a big pot for boiling water, and will try to make my first home brew in a few weeks. My wife says that I must finish other projects around the house first :)

--
Brian

BrianGT said:
I would just have to pick up a coke canister to add to my setup for the kegerator. I went to a beer making class at a local home brew shop, and was amazed how simple it looks.
I use the Coke canisters myself (cornelius kegs) Two batches fits into three kegs. And yes it is simple. Approximately 2 hours a week for 10 gallons of beer.
I picked up a burner and a big pot for boiling water, and will try to make my first home brew in a few weeks.[/B]

Not necessary for home brew. A can of wort extract (commonly mis-named malt) or a box of all grain is all you need. Yeast comes with it. Actually I do use hot water but only to warm the wort extract so it comes out of the can easier.
My wife says that I must finish other projects around the house first [/B]

Don't you hate that?

Good luck with the brewing Brian, remember: patience is a virtue

Cal

My how things change. The last post was in January, it's now October.

After all that, I find there's no longer time for homebrewing. So what do I do?

Go to the U-brew place and make a couple of kegerators of course!

I finished the one for the girlriend's place Saturday and so far so good except my liver.
This pic is the second one for at my place. Finished plumbing and sealing tonight. Ready for first keg.

Attachments

• img_5774.jpg
    img_5774.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 146
Re: Oh!...this place is more interesting than i hope for

destroyer X said:
Very interesting...hehe...life things...wonderfull.

regards,

Carlos

Kegs are also good for moonshine making, national hobby in Finland :D

You can also put your solid-state knowhow to use when designing temperature controls and cooling systems for diy spirits pan :)

Variac said:
Old fridges are so cheap that maybe they are cheaper than heatsinks!

Unfortunately not if you buy them rebuilt. $300.00 Cdn each.

Plus taps and hoses, gas tanks and kegs adds up to about $800.00 a pop. 45 litres of beer is $85.00 as compared with around $200 to $250 for the same quantity in cans or bottles.

So I guess I'll have to drink 6 or 7 kegs to pay it off. :drunk:

I'll let you know how it, hic, goes :drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.