How would you like DIYaudio.com changed? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2001, 04:20 AM   #11
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Jason,

The site is very good, please do not change too much, but, as the fellows said, digital forum and easier uploads would be great.

Regards,

blmn
Old 1st August 2001, 06:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to drakonis
Talking How would you like DIYaudio.com changed?

Jason,

I believe this is one of the best places on the net to hang on, please don't change much what is already working.

I like the idea about adding things, for instance, about links, I would like to see more links but to member projects and a few selected ones, otherwise this link section will look as other well known sites. I like the idea about putting some space to upload pictures, but I'll venture a little further, Why don't you set some space but for finished projects for those threads about building something if the users require it? (Some sort of project mini-log with some text, diagrams and pictures. )

Also, a new section about tips and tricks sounds like a neat thing, probably these should be voted within the threads, or special contributions...

In any case, this is one of the best places, keep on going with it!!!!

-MKT-
Old 2nd August 2001, 09:09 AM   #13
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Looks good as it is. Personally, I do not think it needs a change.
Vivek
Old 2nd August 2001, 08:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason, and thanks so much for your great work on this site. I emailed you a while back now suggesting you create the "Solid State" forum out of the general forum. I am so glad you did!
Definitely agree with the others so far, no great changes and a Digital forum,for DIY- DAC's ,Surround Processors, Clocks CDP, DVD etc.I would also love to see two more forums, the"Active Crossover Forum"for well...active Xovers, and the "Pro Audio Forum" for Mic Pre amp designs, Compressors, EQ's, Limiters, A-D convertors,DI's etc. I realize these last two would probably not be raging with activity,but I know of no other forum on the net dedicated to active crossovers or *DIY* pro audio and I know there is certainly enough projects and general intrest.I know these topics can be categorized into other forums, ie- solid state, tube, speaker, but thats the problem, the info is sprayed across the net in off topic forums. Anyone else (dis)agree?

Thanks Again! Ciao.
Old 2nd August 2001, 08:49 PM   #15
Ignite is offline Ignite  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ignite
You know, if uploading pictures is a problem can't you guys just get a Homestead account or one of the many other free webspace providers and just link to your pictures? That's the standard in all other message boards I know of. And then bandwidth rests on Homestead and not DIYaudio.com
Old 6th August 2001, 01:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Site improvements

Love the site and spend lots of time here - kind of a playground i guess!

The previous suggestion for links to suppliers of hard to find items would be great, as would links to surplus suppliers - most of us surf for these places anyway as part of sourcing project parts so it would be really useful.

What about some PCB layouts - even if they needed to be adapted for your own use they would serve as a very useful starting point - doesnt need to be anything more exotic than JPG files, etc.

A useful circuits section could also be handy...

Many thanks for what we already have.
Old 8th August 2001, 03:06 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Jason,

The site's great. There seem to be lots of people here sharing their knowledge, ideas and opinions. I think that's what makes your site work so well. I've seen comments about needing a new forum for this or that. These are minor changes, which should be able to be made without significantly altering the quality of the site.

On the other hand, I just took a tour of your links. They need some serious help. It seems to me that a complete overhaul of this area would be useful. This shouldn't change the character of the site significantly.

Overall, a nice place to visit and discuss ideas.

Thanks.
Old 21st August 2001, 01:45 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Jason,
We frequently need to attempt simple diagrams. Without going so far as to request CAD capability, it would be a big help if the site didn't scan off white space characters.
Also the spacing gets wonky betwixt the reply screen and the actual thread...perhaps a change between non-proportional & proportional fonts (?). This can be worked around, but requires repeated edits to get the spacing right. Would it be possible to use the same font in both the reply & thread screens?

Grey
Old 21st August 2001, 03:17 AM   #19
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Hi grey,

If you want to use a monospaced font, such as used in the textarea you type into, you can force it yourself with <PRE> which ensures it comes out how you intended, always. PRE means "Preformatted text" I think. You need to close the tag as well with </PRE>.

For example, WITHOUT PRE

o o
\|/ \|/
| |
/ \ / \

WITH PRE
<pre>
&lt;PRE&gt;

o o
\|/ \|/
| |
/ \ / \

&lt;/PRE&gt;
</pre>

<p>
I can adjust the main font to be monospaced but
it would probably look ugly. I will change the
style sheet so that the PRE font looks a bit nicer
too..

[Edited by Jason on 08-20-2001 at 10:27 PM]
Old 25th August 2001, 12:20 PM   #20
peted is offline peted  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can't agree more with most of the sentiments here - it's a brilliant resource - nice feeling in the forums - no particular changes needed.

But to my mind there =is= still something missing, and that's any mention at all of what you folks listen to when this hard-won kit eventually comes online. Can I therefore suggest a music/recordings forum? I know it's entirely down to personal preference, but perhaps it could focus on

Foremost) highlighting outstanding recordings (technical/atmosphere/ambiance point of view), the kit here mostly calls for fine quality recordings - it may encourage the record companies to pay a little more attention to detail

Secondly) pointers to (In peoples' humble opinion of course) particularly cool performances they'd like to share with the group

Perhaps some sort of simple score system like they run in the review mags?

I think this would make the site more balanced and put it all into context.

What think ye?

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!