Power supplies and their ambushes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
patent claims

Sorry guys for my previous post, couldn't help myself....

My try to get this topic "on-topic" again:

One of the most important things IMHO for applying for a patent is a deep knowledge of the technology involved to be sure that it is not patented before or worth patenting in the first place.

I cannot imagine, but I'have not studied nor looked it up specifically, that the basic PSU technology discussed isn't patented long time ago and patent free at this moment or "public domain" in any application?

I think the "patent-guru's" at the forum can dig up some "old and grey" patent claims?

Would be nice to see....... :) :cool:

yldouright said:
The same conditions apply to this as with my previous patent applications exposed via this public forum. Any and all diyaudio members may use this idea in their designs as long as it is not for profit or part of a commercial product or enterprise. If it is used for commerical purposes, you must obtain my written consent or forfeit all profits persuant from its use.

You're joking, right? The design you have published here is seriously flawed in the sense that it would simply melt down the transformer and/or rectifers. :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Regards,
Milan

moamps, keld and hummhoom
Thanks for taking the time to look over what I presented. Okay, I know what I want to accomplish but perhaps I can't draw it in an understandable fashion so I will try and explain with words. In a transformer with a single center tap and two secondaries, we have two poles on opposite sides of a common center point. The first pole winding to the center point creates the first secondary and the winding from the center point to the opposing pole creates the other secondary. When we use two bridges to create the positive and negative supply, we have one common return point on which to connect both the bridges. The consensus is that we have a short but does it have to be?

In a transformer with a single center tap and two secondaries
Luckily, there is as good as nothing like that out there. Your xformer certainly hat two secondaries. Use two bridges, run two separate rectifier/capacitor systems, connect minus of the upper and plus of the lower system behind the capacitors, than you have a good power supply - but nothing to write to mom about.

HBarske
I know that what you suggest is a tried and true path but with a downstream noise cancelling circuit downstream I see an opportunity here to create something different. If the transformer is wound in such a way as to allow what I propose then we can test its effectiveness. My intention is to create identical noise which can then be dealt with later in the amp. That is why I felt this idea had merit and deserved the scrutiny of this forum.

moamps
I don't have the circuit drawing tools and doing it in paint as I have done is too time consuming. Judging from the reactions I've gotten from my posted drawings, I should rather paint the picture with words.

HBarske
That is the beauty of what I propose, all the noise from the power supply, mains RF, diode switching, etc. will be ground referenced and equal so it can be handled better.

jeff mai
What good is a designer without a goal?

Moderators
Please address the continuing inflammatory posts like the one above. If that wasn't personal, I don't know what was.

yldouright said:
In a transformer with a single center tap and two secondaries

The way you go on to describe this it sounds like a typical transformer for a full wave rectifier using two diodes, common in valve circuits.

The stumbling block to your thinking here is that you really only have one secondary in this situation. A tap is just that, it taps into the winding. It doesn't isolate into two windings.

yldouright said:
What good is a designer without a goal?

Maybe everyone here should be billing readers for any useful information gleaned from their posts? How's that for a goal?

I never said you shouldn't patent your idea. I questioned whether this was the place to announce your intent to claim an idea as your own. Especially when you still need assistance in getting it to work.

jeff mai
What better place to announce it than a place where it is likely to be identifyable and of value. This forum has the greatest congregation audio persona that I know of, if I knew of another, I wouldn't hesitate to announce it there too. Your tone and that of others is not constructive. I clearly stated that anyone in this forum can use my idea freely for their own use so why the antagonistic tone?

jeff mai
I have no lack of understanding in what I want to achieve nor how I want to achieve it. You are exhibiting exactly the kind of snobbery that makes people reticent to post an idea they may have. If I have less academic acumen than you it doesn't invalidate the premise that I can come up with a better way to do something than you. The whole world is a collective group of minds and each has experiences and knowledge which can be useful to each other. A doctorate in Electronic theory will not make you a great audio designer so stop trying to point out what I don't know and acknowledge what I do know. You don't know me so you view my objectives pessimistically but if anything profitable were to come of this, I would be mindful of those that helped bring it about and commensurately thankful to the board which made it possible. Of course you can just sit on the sidelines if you like and if I am to go by these last few posts of yours, I think I would prefer that.
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.