|Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|30th July 2002, 07:08 AM||#1|
Avatar Photos: How Do I Size Them?
Is there anyone out there computer-savvy enough with advice on shrinking an image for use as an avatar? I have several programs, including the Kodak Imaging software...I wish to frame a 75 x 75 pixel image for the Avatar
|30th July 2002, 11:05 PM||#3|
Join Date: Oct 2000
Blog Entries: 1
Hi bob, and anyone else interested in knocking up an avatar.
I plan on writing a tutorial sometime. I guess it could go in the wikki
I highly recommend <a href="http://www.jasc.com">paint shop pro</a>, though it is a big download.
1) Use as high res an image as possible
2) Reduce to appropriate size, using smart size
3) Save as gif or jpg, and click "Use optimizer". Play with the settings in order to get the best compression and lowest filesize. If you're using GIF look to use 256 "Median Cut" colors, and don't include windows colors.
Complex version / Gif Transparency
1) Use high res image to start with and set the colors to 16M
2) If you're planning on using transparency then use the magic wand to cut out the background
3) Fill the background with the purple from the forums
4) Use the touchup tool with a fine point smooth to smooth over the edges of the avatar. You want to anti-alias to purple, not to black or white which will look ugly.
5) Use the magic wand on 0 percent tolerance to cut out the purple you filled in, leaving the nicely anti-aliased edges you created
6) Reduce to size, using a suitable resize method (I find smart size works well)
7) Save as GIF, use the optimizer, use a 256 color median cut, and have a play with dithering to get a balance between a good dither and solid colors
I hope this helps
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|avatar too big||Aidan135711||Everything Else||8||29th February 2008 01:54 PM|
|My New Avatar!!!!!||SkinnyBoy||The Lounge||16||20th July 2004 09:28 PM|
|avatar test||JC Fardo||The Lounge||0||12th April 2004 08:52 PM|
|Peter's New Avatar||Neutron Bob||Everything Else||25||31st January 2003 10:24 AM|
|avatar size change from 64 to 60 pixels||morsel||Everything Else||5||21st May 2002 01:24 PM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|