DIY system setup - muting, de-thumping, spkr protection, remotes etc ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2005, 11:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY system setup - muting, de-thumping, spkr protection, remotes etc ...

Now that I've added some new bits to my stereo + dual subs system, it's getting to be a slow process to even just turn everything on.

Goal: press one button to turn on my entire system AND have no thumps when turning on or off.

My system consists of

1. preamp (actually an integrated Akai amp with preouts)

2. Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2596

3. Active xo (diy)

4. Sub processor (I'll just use this for its rumble filter and one band of parametric eq)

5. Power amps - sub: Behringer Europower EP2500, mid: Akai, tweeter: chip amp (diy not finished yet)

The attached schematic shows the whole system and how I see this all working:
Attached Images
File Type: gif system schematic.gif (8.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 6th January 2005, 11:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I plan to use a current sensing slave switch, so I will use a VCR as a master remote switch, then all the other things will be powered up by the relay control.

Thump problems:
- active xo, sub processor and chip amp are diy and have nothing to stop them thumping
- the sub amp doesn't have a delay when turning on so has a thump if I don't turn down the attenuators first
- DEQ thumps when I switch it off

I'd also like to protect the tweeter

I DON'T want to open up my sub amp, is there a way I can disconntect it from the subs while powering up? A relay device with a delay that will disconnect the speaker cables until things are stable?

I'd like to put in a diy preamp (when I get it working) with a remote volume control kit.

Suggestions on what to do to get all this working smoothly?
Old 6th January 2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I achieve this by simply running them all off a filtered + surge protected power strip and having all their power switches permanently in the on position. Then just use the wall socket or strip switch as the master. The amp has delay relays before the speakers are connected so it's silent.

Edit: doh, just read your last bit. Mebbe a separate speaker switching box that just switches a load of relays driven from the mains? Add to your power strip and voila.

Not sure I'd like a big power amp without any protection relays (your EP2500) in my system
Old 6th January 2005, 01:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

EDIT: I actually checked my EP2500 and with the attenuators full on there are no thumps on turning on or off

It does not have a relay to delay turning on, it seems to have muting and the clip lights always go on briefly on powering up, but nothing gets through. Well, if there is a relay, I can't hear it - not the usual "click"

The amp has all the usual protection circuits on PA amps. I don't think I need anything else. The subs can handle more than it puts out, unless it puts out DC!

Is there anything else I need to add to the sub to make things safe?

Is there any risk to equipment in bypassing their switches? ie switching on at the mains?
Old 6th January 2005, 01:22 PM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The clip lights flicking is probably just a capacitor charging or something in the low level circuitry, so you seem to be fine.

No issue with using the mains switch or the unit switch to turn on power, they are both doing the same thing.
Old 6th January 2005, 01:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just got a response from Behringer - they said as there is no delay relay that there is the risk of speaker damage due to thumps etc. However I find none, not even when the clip indicator is on briefly on power up. Perhaps this is due to it being a sub and the amount of power in these transients are higher frequency and not enough power.

Hide this!Advertise here!