Donation/Fund Raising Idea - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Apogee is offline Apogee  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Donation/Fund Raising Idea

While the current outage is fresh on everyone's mind...

I really would love to be able to buy a CD or DVD copy of one or more of the forums to have as a backup.

I have many projects pending from both the Pass, Solid State and Tube forums and would be sunk if they were to disappear without a trace...

I think there are many others in the same boat, hence my idea...

They sell software that will save a whole forum or thread so it works on a CD or DVD just like the live one. The only difference is since it's static information it can't be updated once the "picture" has been taken.

How do others feel about this?

Would you be willing to put $$$ forward for something like this?

Pulling a number out of the sky, would you be willing to spend $100 to have a backup of the forum of your choice?

Obviously this is intended as a fundraiser for the site if the powers that be have a way of doing it (not a business opportunity for me)...
Old 5th January 2005, 06:30 PM   #2
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
I'd buy it if it included the data in such a format that I could use it the way I like. The thought of having this entire forum locally, but still having all the limitations of this horrible web interface is not appealing. But being able to freely search and organize would be wonderful.

I'd pay $25/year for quarterly updates on DVD.
Old 5th January 2005, 06:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

it is a good idea, i like it. i regularly purchase the CD-ROM versions of magazines like QST -- the newer versionns are searchable PDF's -- the other reason for having a CD-ROM version is that it can be faster to search.
Old 5th January 2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

This question raised in the past and in fact I too think its a good idea, however, our Warp Engineer posted an answer some time ago:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...186#post466186

/Hugo

Hide this!Advertise here!